1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many are out and about where you live?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, May 6, 2020.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I have been good with the lockdown and just do a weekly shop. Last time I noticed a lot more traffic but today, about an hour ago, it was almost like being at a festival - traffic jams and people walking everywhere.

I was genuinely astounded by how many people and cars were out and about. It was almost as bad as the early morning commute.

Is this unique to me or are you noticing the same? (I am just outside of London)

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Next door has a visitor. The daughter of the lady on the other side comes round most days and stays for hours. A grandchild is running round the garden backing onto us.
    People think this lockdown is coming to some sort of end, and are pre-empting such an announcement from Boris on Sunday.

Are we just giving up?

3. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

I'm staying at home today - shopping done two days ago - and I've noticed a couple of neighbours sitting in their front gardens enjoying the sunshine. Next door's back garden is laid out like a playground and I can hear young children's voices as I type.

gingerhobo48 and dumpty like this.
  4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

It's definitely busier here, with more traffic on the local roads, but it's very variable. The shops are still very quiet. Next door are having their soil pipe replaced by a couple of guys in a 'Highways Maintenance' van, who don't seem to have much of a clue what they're doing. They're certainly not keeping apart. Maybe they live together, who knows?!

gingerhobo48 and dumpty like this.
  5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The villagers here are aware of two households breaking the rules: one has gone to their holiday home on the south coast and the other has decamped (with her children) to her new boyfriend's residence in London. There have been anxious discussions about whether they should be reported. Nobody likes to be a snitch or a bad neighbour, but ...

And Gassboy2, who lives in Richmond, tells me that there was a huge queue at B&Q the other day, but the police were in the car park questioning people about why they were there, and he thinks they issued at least one penalty charge. He saw one cop fingering his handcuffs and overheard him saying "We can discuss this further at the station if you prefer, sir". :(

There's certainly more traffic on the roads around here, including some motorbikers with noisy exhausts who seem to be using the local A road as a racing track at weekends.

6. rararasputin

rararasputin Senior commenter

I do my big shop on the same day every week and I've really noticed the difference as the weeks have passed - it was like a ghost town in the first week after lockdown, now it's not much different to normal in terms of the number of people and traffic.

7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Quite possible and now there is momentum gathering that Sinak is going to reduce the furlough payments to 60% and a lower cap, which he has not denied (indeed he has said it must be adjusted and ended).

All eyes on Boris this Sunday.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...k_5eb28e81c5b62d6a8ea59a2e?utm_hp_ref=uk-news

"The surprise reopening of a KFC restaurant caused hours of chaos on Lancashire roads, with police called, queues stretching miles and eventually a decision being taken by the restaurant to close again.

The fried chicken chain this week reopened 55 of its drive-through sites – some of them without warning – leading to lengthy traffic jams across the UK."

There's no hope. I could understand it if people were absolutely desperate for lobster thermidor or the like, but KFC?

9. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

But have they come back? Old boy across the road left to stay somewhere else and hasn't been back for 6 weeks.

10. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Established commenter

No you shouldn't snitch. You are unlikely to know the full details of why the movements were made and there may well be excellent personal and private reasons.
    Apart from that, snitching - we call it sneaking - is the lowest of the low, unless it is to prevent an actual crime or injury. At my school, being a sneak was about the worst thing you could be, and if you did it you were likely to be sent to Coventry for some time. It was very rare indeed that someone did.

As for people moving, in the Staffordshire moorland villages it is still very quiet. There are perhaps just a few more vehicles on the nearest main-ish road during the day than there were three weeks ago, but in the evenings after about 6pm it is as quiet as the grave. You can clearly hear the curlews on the moors. It's been wonderful. Just the odd villager walking. And there are some very odd ones round here, I can tell you! :D

The supermarkets in the towns have queues during the days, I'm told, but as I generally go once a week in the later evening I rarely queue and rarely wait to pay.

We sympathise with those who are restricted to large supermarkets in heavily populated areas and who can't walk through fields, especially at this time of year when everything is springing to life with such vigour and rich colour. The bluebells are amazing in the valley woodlands!

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

People who need to go to work are more at work. Shops are opening to sell stuff that people need for work.

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I only go out early for my run, and it's a quiet route so hard to say if things are busier. Probably more traffic locally. I only shop a couple of times a week locally in the afternoon when there tends to be a sleepy air about the place and small queues, if any, at the local shops. A short bus ride away is our main town centre, which is a major retail hub in normal times. I've no idea what it is like currently as I haven't been there during the lockdown.

13. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I went to shop and then deliver the shopping to MiL. There's definitely more traffic around than there has been.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

This kind of thing annoys me because if the shop is allowed to be open and trading, people should not be questioned about what they are purchasing.
    Have you seen those pictures online of the major queues of cars at the recently opened drive-thru KFCs? Is that really essential shopping? it's possibly an interesting perspective on people's dietary habits - desperate to get that junk food. But if they can serve buckets of chicken, surely B&Q should be able to sell useful DIY goods without the police policing what's bought.

15. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Absolutely unbelievable how people are acting out their death wish. Today, I finally finished the Ducksbacking of the fences and had to endure both neighbours and their chaos. Firstly the neighbour who has his girlfriend over ever few days. He's ever so excited about the latest plans in the villager for V E 75. Seems it's ramping up with poppies on every lamppost and a local fella who gets kilted up and plays the bagpipes at the Burns Supper. He plans to play the bagpipes up and down the road at 3 p.m. on Friday. There's a minutes silence at 11 a.m. on the same day.

So, my neighbour is all excited and asked me about the celebrations. He was most downcast when I said I was staying indoors all day. This because he can't cope with just him and his girlfriend who is coming over for the celebrations and wants me to sit out in the garden while they get drunk and sing "we'll meet again" etc. I can think of no greater hell.

Then he comments on how the MP got in trouble for having his girlfriend over. I corrected him and explained who it actually was: the scientific advisor etc.

Onward he goes about how he can't be expected to be celibate for weeks on end and it's all ok that his girlfriend comes over. Totally muddled thinking.

Further talk about Vauxhall Luton and some workers returning to work On 18th May with a reduction from four hundred vans a week to four vans a week. "You know what factory workers are like!" he explains. I nod, knowing what the f ing species is like. Drained by the nonsense and less work done.

He clears off out to get more shopping for the big celebrations.

Enter the other neighbour back from the shops with a big paddling pool. Constant requests for tools etc. How "he wishes his dad was here to help him set up the paddling pool". I'm in despair trying to get my work done.

Oh how I wish these people would just get off to hospital and give me some peace. Then they want me to help them move a large pot with a plant in it. I get my wheelbarrow rather then carry the pot with him through his house into the front garden.

I think they want to kill me.

16. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

I have to say it's quiet as the grave round here; all my neighbours seem to be taking the lockdown very seriously.

17. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Lots of groups in the park. Lots of cars parked up next to the park-far more than last week. I think people are getting complacent.
    Too many joggers who hog the path and refuse to move over. :mad:

gingerhobo48 and Oscillatingass like this.
  18. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I know I am sooo excited to read the reaction on here to what he says. Of course, whatever he says will be mendacious and execrable oh and also not what the South Koreans would do.

Jonntyboy likes this.
  19. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I think it is a/the decoy.

As said above, people start reacting to what the media (and tactical leaks to it) are making us believe.

So this makes people also think everyone will be broke soon - much more willing to accept a lifting of the lockdown on Sunday.

20. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

You rebels, you!