1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many applications before you got an interview and appointment?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by marilyn2, Nov 11, 2019.

1. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

Hi there,
    Feeling quite despondent about lack of success with my applications. Am I needlessly panicking? Is it early days? I’m applying for positions but hearing nothing back. Should I hope to see more jobs out soon? I’ve not seen loads so far. Do lower tier advertise in the new year?

I’ve got plenty of teaching experience including internationally (got an early appointment so not applied at this time of year before) and I think a good cv, statement, good references etc, I’ve had colleagues look at cv etc.. and say it’s good. Applying for a mix of schools, not worried about tier.

I’m not sure how long to give it before throwing in the towel... any advice how to stay motivated would be gratefully received...
    Thank you
    M

2. Leonardo1983

Leonardo1983 New commenter

Dont despair, this is very early in the season. My school asks for intentions in the first week of Jan and i know some schools are advertising now just to have a catalogue of CVs ready to go through when resignations come in after Xmas.

For my current position I applied in March.

grdwdgrrrl and marilyn2 like this.
  3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You're going to throw in the towel in November???

The recruitment season has only just really started (well, ok about a month ago but it's just starting to speed up).

A lot of the schools who advertise early don't have a definite vacancy but they are just putting the feelers out there in case someone doesn't sign up for another year. If they do sign up, then the vacancy is no longer available. Also, some of those schools who advertise early will wait a while before conducting interviews. I've applied for positions before in September and gotten an interview in November.

Keep applying, and wait and see. Because you've not heard from a school yet does not mean you've been unsuccessful. There are months to go yet before you should be worrying

tb9605, mermy, Leonardo1983 and 2 others like this.
  4. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

It’s not a boxing match. You won’t get knocked out if you don’t throw in the towel. You’ll be in exactly the same position you were before - available and able to apply for jobs.

There is an awful lot of luck involved, more than a lot of folk realise. If you’ve never had a rejection it’s not because you are God’s gift to the profession. It’s because you have had a few rounds in succession of applying early for a job that you really wanted, the recruiter liking the look of your application and it all falling into place. This won’t happen every time. You should of course write the best applications, get the best references and interview well - but that’s just half of it.

Be patient.

mermy, Leonardo1983, T0nyGT and 3 others like this.
  5. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

Thanks for the advice @TonyGT. I’d really never thought about the fact that the vacancies this early might not actually exist and be speculative but that makes a lot of sense

6. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

@Leonardo1983 thanks for the advice, it’s good to know that

Leonardo1983 likes this.
  7. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

What they said.

8. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

9. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

A few threads popping up like this now - I am in the same boat.. but I’m not getting down just looking for solutions. Like ppl said it’s early and if it meant to be then it will happen.

adrixargentina likes this.
  10. THE STOIC

THE STOIC New commenter

Good luck with your job search I hope you are successful.

11. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

How is everyone doing? I had my third interview yesterday and have a 4th lined up (if they can change the date/time).

I've never taught internationally before but I'm pleased I've already been offered 4 interviews, so my application must be OK. I think I'll start getting dispondent if I'm on interview 6 still with nothing.

How many interviews are you on??

12. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

Thanks The Stoic, sorry I just saw your message

13. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

I’m keeping on applying but sadly not even a single interview for me...

14. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

What kind of job are you looking for and where?

15. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

Visual art

16. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

it's a very oversubscribed subject area. they will be getting hundreds of applications for each position I'm afraid.

you are just going to have to keep on applying.

good luck though

17. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

@adrixargentina I'll be honest, considering the hiring season has started. Six (6) is a lot with no bites. But you need to keep going. Which subject/area are you?

@marilyn2 dumbells66 is correct but just like adrixargentina you need to keep plodding along.

All practical subjects are saturated markets.

marilyn2 likes this.
  18. dumbbells66

This isnt fully true. Try and find an experienced Design teacher, they are rarer than physics teachers

19. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

The world is pretty big to confidently say design teachers are rarer than physics teachers.. Especially, when the old head "design and technology" has quickly evolved towards the technology part and computer/IT graduates of any form are landing the jobs.

20. dumbbells66

Im well aware of the massive shortage. Although, i have no idea about British schools, but IB schools are desperate for them, and with the IB being significantly bigger internationally i will stand by my statement. Last year we had nearly 100 applicants for a physics position, and only 5 for our Design role.