1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many agencies should I register with?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Carolinesa, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I've recently finished a Primary PGCE and didn't manage to get a job before the summer holidays. I've registered with two agencies, which do permanent, long term and day-to-day supply work. What I'm wondering is how many agencies should I register with? Is it worth registering with a few more, or should I just stick to two? I'm also still looking and applying for jobs independently.
    Thanks.

2. Hi,
    I've recently finished a Primary PGCE and didn't manage to get a job before the summer holidays. I've registered with two agencies, which do permanent, long term and day-to-day supply work. What I'm wondering is how many agencies should I register with? Is it worth registering with a few more, or should I just stick to two? I'm also still looking and applying for jobs independently.
    Thanks.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

As many as possible. Especially if you don't have to pay for a new CRB for each one. They all have clauses requiring a finders fee (from schools) if you get a permenant job in any schools they've placed you in so keep this in mind as it may price you out of the job.However bills need to be paid so try not to worry too much about this.
    Have you registered with your Local Authority agencies? These pay to scale and won't charge a fee if you land a permenant job, also you can move up the pay scale if you teach 26 weeks in the year through them x

4. I didn't know that about the Local Authority agencies, thanks, I'll register for mine now.
    Thanks.

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Yes, register for as many as possible. When I returned from my travels, I did some supply and the first agency I went to say basically tried to convince me that I shouldn't join any other agencies because it would make me look "Like a house with 7 different For Sale signs outside". I kid you not, those were the precise words.
    I ignored them and joined 3 other agencies. I got a few weeks of supply work then was appointed to a maternity cover at one of the schools, that appointed permanently at the end of that.