1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many adults are there in your class/setting?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kateyp, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hello everyone! Just a quick one...
    I teach in a reception class with 25 children. I have 2 children with medical/special needs who have nearly full time support AND some general TA time. There are grumblings from some of my colleagues about how unfair this is etc etc.
    Now, I realise that some of my colleagues have very little help. But surely they can see that
    a. These children will be moving through school and the luxury of having these extra adults will come to everyone eventually.
    b. Having this extra help comes with the trade off of the extra stress/worry involved with teaching these children.
    Has anyone else come across this situation? How have you dealt with it?

2. Hello everyone! Just a quick one...
    I teach in a reception class with 25 children. I have 2 children with medical/special needs who have nearly full time support AND some general TA time. There are grumblings from some of my colleagues about how unfair this is etc etc.
    Now, I realise that some of my colleagues have very little help. But surely they can see that
    a. These children will be moving through school and the luxury of having these extra adults will come to everyone eventually.
    b. Having this extra help comes with the trade off of the extra stress/worry involved with teaching these children.
    Has anyone else come across this situation? How have you dealt with it?

3. Hi
    I have a fulltime TA but also a voluntary helper 3 days a week and a student most days too.
    I have 30 reception kids (1 with autism who yet has got an official diagnosis so no extra help)
    No one ever really moans about the number of staff we have as I think they know how demanding EYFS can be.
    Louise

4. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I teach in a nursery class of 26 children and there is myself and a TA and it is such hard work. There are 8 children with Speech and Language problems, 1 with behaviour issues and another with what seems a serious developmental delay and a toileting issue.
    Yet the YrR and Yr1 classes have students and volunteers left, right and centre... I'm very annoyed about this!
    I totally agree that these children will need the extra help throughout school, and its great to hear of additional staff being used to support the children.

5. I work in a school with a designation for Autistic Spectrum Disorder. My class is the FS/KS1 department.
    I have 9 children and 3 additional adults.
    Not all classes have the same level of support as me but we all work together and the staff go to where the need is greatest. All support staff can be transient; working across the school in cases of staff absence etc. I dont think there is any grumbling because if someone is having a particularly difficult day or week then we all muck in where we can.
    I guess it is an ethos thing though - its just the way my school/staff is - I'm sure it is pretty unique in that way.

6. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I have a full time TA, a student and an additional TA for most of the afternoon. Sssshhhhh.

7. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

I have a mixed R/Yr1 class of 20 and have a TA full time.

8. I have 71 children, 51 of them are reception the rest nursery and i have one child with a statement 5 children with EAL and a number of children with speech and language problems. We have 2 teachers, 2 advanced early years practitioners and 1 TA for the child with a statement. I think we are under staffed but the head thinks we are over staffed! I would say you certainly need support, ignore the rest or suggest they do it!

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You should have 2 teachers for reception and 1 for nurseryplus a NN/TA and an additional TA for the statemented child so staff numbers are ok but qualifications aren't.

10. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

EYU with 35 children, (18 R,17 N) Reception teacher, part time Nursery teacher and full time TA
    24 children with significant S&L difficulties, 2 in pull ups, one waiting for an ASD assessment, 4 under social services care, 2 with significant behaviour problems, all but 3 working well below age related expectations and 1 with ASD and supplementary funding (but the full time TA is named as
    her key person, yet is also expected to work with the rest of the
    children)
    The other staff whine that they get no support, yet they have small class sizes and, strangely, not one of them offer to try early years when we are asked at Easter if we would like to experience a new year group...

11. We have two full reception classes with no TA support in the afternoons. Be thankful that your Head has acknowledged the level of support you need.

12. hsz06rgu

hsz06rgu New commenter

Hi we have 30 children in our reception class and 1 full time TA. We did have 2 TA's due to the layout of room (two classrooms and outdoor space) but since moving into our new build we only have one square classroom and the outdoors, so we couldn't justify the extra TA unfortunately. I would have loved to have kept her though, as we have one child we are fighting for a diagnosis of aspergers and two children with S&L issues.
    I also have one work experience placement who helps one day a week, but to be honest its a little like having another 4 year old!
    I would suggest to the staff that they are unhappy with the numbers that they can 'borrow' them for a week and see how it goes, with the condition that you call them back if needs be. By the time you have had to call them back 3 or 4 times in order to change the children in your class/sort out book bags/deal with an injury etc etc they will get the message that reception really do need at least one additional adult. The two children with SEN are required to have this help if they have a statement for individual hours, and I can guarantee that they would be fighting this child's corner if they were in their class!
    Keep going and ignore them if necessary! People don't understand the early years and those that claim they do but still moan are either lying or have never worked in a EY setting.