1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long......

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by snowstorm, Feb 26, 2016.

1. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

does it take from date of application to get one's pension?

I want to take mine in the new tax year and trying to work out the date to apply and how long I'll have to wait for completion.

Thank you in advance

SS

2. Rendellers

Rendellers New commenter

I applied for mine on 8 Dec for retirement at end of Easter holidays and it is still stuck on 20% complete. I rang 2 weeks ago to make sure it wasn't stuck because of school . Lovely lady said,as does their site, that they are dealt with in the order they are recieved and they were still dealing with Christmas retirements. I'll ring again in a couple more weeks if its progress is still stuck. On a brighter note a relative did retire at Christmas having only given about 4 weeks notice to the pension people and she has got her lump sum etc.
    Not much use I'm afraid.Good luck!

snowstorm likes this.
  3. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

A lot depends on how efficient your current employers are.Breaks in service can also complicate matters, but, Easter retirement should have the fewest people retiring . I found the TPS to be very efficient. I hope you have registered with their website. My employers were hopeless and led to my application taking 10 weeks, even though I had only taught at two schools with no service breaks. Four weeks is more typical. They also notify the tax authorities. I was really pleased with the information they provided.

snowstorm likes this.
  4. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Thanks, I guess the longer they take the more pension/lump sum I'll get?

5. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Ta for your response; I've been out of teaching for about 6 years now, and my pension info on the website looks quite straightforward....hopefully it will be.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Doesn't it make sense to tell them earlier than you think you need to, giving the date you actually want the pension. That way, you are almost certan to get it when you want it.

snowstorm likes this.
  7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

They get busier in the summer due to the number retiring, but I applied after Easter (late April/early May?) three years ago and got my pension in July (as I left before the end of term).

8. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Thanks Frank!

Decided to apply now....home under offer...and need lump sum to buy new place :)