1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How Long?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Boggs, May 1, 2012.

1. I am between cancer treatments and have gone back to work on a reduced hours/light duties agreement.

How long do i have to work to "reset" my six months sick pay? My last absence was over the April 1st cut off time so I am now entitled to restart the six months sick pay again.

2. I am between cancer treatments and have gone back to work on a reduced hours/light duties agreement.

How long do i have to work to "reset" my six months sick pay? My last absence was over the April 1st cut off time so I am now entitled to restart the six months sick pay again.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

This is from official documentation:
    "The sick leave year runs from 1 April to 31 March and a new entitlement starts each year on 1 April.
    However, teachers absent due to illness on 31 March will not be entitled to the subsequent year's allowance until they are recovered and are back at work. Instead, sick leave will continue to be counted against the previous year's entitlement."
    If you returned to work at any point from1st April onwards, you would be entitled to this year's sick leave allowance for any absences due to illness that happen from now on.
    Good luck with your treatment!

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I am sure your school is much more supportive, but when I was in a similar situation some years ago they would not reset my sick pay allowance because it was a continuation of a previous illness.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Had you returned to work in the interim? I don't see how a school can make a unilateral decision on something that is clearly explained in documentation.
    I know of a teacher who had full pay sickness absence every year for 5 years due to anorexia, returning aftre treatment for a few weeks of work or for longer on a phased return and then relapsing and taking advantage of a new sick pay entitlement.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am not an expert on this, but wonder if the phrase "until they have recovered..." could be taken as meaning that further absence for the same illness is not included as the teacher has not recovered. If that were not the case, those words would be redundant - it would mean just the same thing is it said "However, teachers absent due to illness on 31 March will not be entitled to the subsequent year's allowance until they are are back at work. Is the purpose of those words to avoid the situation where somebody comes back in for a few days and then goes sick again?
    I am not trying to justify this stance in the particular case here, but I think there are times when teachers manipulate the sick leave rules.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

An interesting point.
    I've always taken the phrase "until they have recovered .." to mean that the teacher has recovered enough to be fit for work, as certified by a doctor.
    After all, many teachers must return to work before they are fully medically recovered from a bad cold or a sprained wrist etc.
    With someone suffering from cancer, it not usually the tumour that keeps them off work in the first place; it's usually the side effects of the treatment, which they then recover from. Or they might feel perfectly able to be at work but the doctor might veto it because of the increased risk of infection when their immune system is low.