1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Feb 6, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there, and welcome to our Forum.
    Yes, each school will be different, because each school will have different circumstances.
    Well, I would wait until tomorrow's post arrives before giving up hope. They may have taken all the paperwork home over the weekend to make the final decisions.
    Yes, although don't hold out much hope for getting anything useful back - they will probably say that there was a strong field, but they chose to interview people with more experience/people who corresponded more closely to their criteria.
    Speaking of the criteria - you did enclose an executive summary, showing how you met their criteria? And as it was an Indy school, emphasised how very very keen you are on doing clubs and activities and DoE and all the rest?
    As you are a newby, I'll just set out some points about job applications. Firstly, for indy schools, make sure that you go to the Independent Forum and read the Welcome thread over there to get the background understanding.
    As for general tips on job seeking, you'll need to read our Welcome thread here on JobSeekers.
    My advice on writing applications is contained mainly in the shortlisting clickables inside the welcome thread here on this Forum. Also read the FAQs.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    As a summary of the steps to take in getting a job:
    Point 1 Are you getting notification of all possible jobs? Do several JobAlerts here on the TES Forum, for all your subjects, and then repeat them all for the independent schools. * * * * How to set up a Job Alert * * * * is at the top of the page
    Point 2 Are you following the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread?
    Lots of posters have found it gets them interviews - and jobs. Headteachers say that they appreciate candidates who do what I advise.
    Please take Theo's advice!
    taking Theo's Advice
    The benefit of an executive summary
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    Point 3 Have you tried doing an interview practice with someone who will give you blunt feedback? You'll need to get ready for when you do get an interview. You might, for example, being doing something quite simple, like screwing up your face in a glare when you are conisdering an answer, which can be very off-putting. And which a school is unlikely to tell you about.
    Point 4 And then, if all has failed because you are already doing all this, then you should be thinking of getting on a train or a coach to come to the application seminars: the next one of Winning That Teaching Job is quite soon: Saturday 25 February, it will be led by me. ThIt is just before the February 29 resignation date, so you are all fresh for any new jobs that come up then.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    Going to a seminar has worked for many posters
    Dear Theo.....I got the job!!!!!
    Course, the thought of meeting me might be a big No-No!
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com<font size="2" color="#0000ff"> </font>
    There is interview training too in the afternoon that day:
    www.tesweekendworkshop86.eventbrite.com
    Point 5 Finally, you might like to open your piggy bank and come for a One-to-One session with me or someone else from the team. Again, people have found this helpful:
    Dear Everyone... I met TheoGriff!
    Theo and tremendous support
    Theo's 'One to One' careers service....
    Now the last two cost money, and although it is worth it , it always makes sense to try out the free advice first!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com