1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long will it take to recover from wisdom teeth extraction?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by musicmakestheworldgoround, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am due to have both of my lower wisdom teeth out in a few weeks. How long will it take to recover? I need to let cover people know at work roughly how long I will be absent but I haven't got a clue!
    What is everyone elses experience?
    Thanks

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I had my left hand ones out years ago under general anaesthetic. I was done on the Wednesday and back to work on the Monday.

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I was signed off for 2 weeks. It's impossible to generalise - it depends on if the teeth are impacted, and if they are, by how much. I lost a substantial chunk of jaw when I had mine out.

4. Thanks for the replies.
    I've looked for answers on the internet and I found everything ranging from 2 days to 2 months! Mine are quite badly impacted so thinking it may take some time for my mouth to settle down. Cover is just so tight at the moment at my school that they want to know exactly how long I will be off for. I've tried to explain that I have no idea but apparently this isn't good enough!

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

So tell them a month, and you'll update them when you know more!

6. Good grief, 2 months I had less time than that for a hysterectomy!!
    I had two impacted wisdom teeth taken out in hospital about 5 years ago and was back in school that afternoon. Felt quite sore the following day and a bit bashed and bruised (they had a fight to get them out) but nothing that a couple of paracetamol wouldn't cure.

7. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I was fine the next day as well. Hope you are too.

8. I had mine out when I was 17. For some reason my parents thought it was sensible to leave me in charge of my three younger siblings that evening. My mouth wouldn't stop bleeding though and I remember thinking that I was going to bleed to death in front of my younger brothers and sisters. Obviously I didn't and the next day I was sent off to school as usual. I then proceeded to fall down two flights of stairs. My mum later admitted that perhaps I should have been allowed one day off school.

9. I was fine the same afternoon - pulled under sedation, soon as they let me head home I pootled off to school to the summer fayre - while my head had been expecting and anticipating me being off and out of action for days (and I have to admit delighting in giving me massive horror stories) - her face when I rolled in right as rain was a picture!
    And my teeth usually adopt the "if anything can go spectacularly painfully wrong with them - it will" approach!
    The guy who did mine granted was the wisdom tooth yanking guru of the entire county apparently.

10. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I had mine out when I was 17, all four of them (general, not sedation) Was eating McDonalds the following day....pretty carefully though. Was fully healed in less than a week. One tip, try to sleep sitting up, or at least with your head seriously elevated. (back cushion from a sofa type thing) I avoided the 'chipmunk' effect swelling that way
    B x

11. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I had two days off when i had them removed many years ago, mainly because of the crippling headache it caused.

12. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I had 2 weeks off and swelled up like a hamster - but that was 30+ years ago. My son had his out a couple of years ago but as he was unemployed at the time I knew he was uncomfortable for a while but didn't think of it in terms of going to work.

I would say 3 weeks but you'll be back sooner if they heal quicker - would they wear that do you think?

13. Thanks for the advice everyone.
    I have put cover in for a week and told them I'll be back sooner if I can and later if I need it!
    They didn't seem particularly happy about the situation but I'm past caring [​IMG]

14. My husband had one wisdom tooth out in his lunch break and went back to work in the afternoon! He only had a local anaesthetic though. He said it was not as bad as having a root canal (but he went straight back to work after that as well.)

15. I think it depends whether the teeth are impacted or not - my bottom ones were in completely sideways and I had all 4 out under general anaesthetic in hospital. I stayed overnight afterwards and was fine when I left - though a bit puffy.

16. I had mine out a few yrs ago and had 3 days off plus the weekend, nowhere near as bad as I expected, hope all goes well for you!

17. I haven't had my wisdom teeth removed but did have 4 adult teeth removed when I was 14 as my jaw was overcrowded (it still is, even after these 4 teeth being removed plus 4 years of braces-I've always had issues with my mouth!) and the orthodontist at the hospital would not proceed with train track braces until these 4 teeth were removed. I had one day off school. It freaked me out a bit with how much the wounds bled-I woke up the next morning with blood all over my pillow! Eating was a bit weird for a couple of days as well. Like other people have said, it really does depend on how complex particular cases are.