1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long until you're back to "normal"?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by chicabonita, May 28, 2011.

1. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I'm completely irrational about some things, mainly baby-related. i can see or hear myself saying things which I know are completely irrational, unreasonable etc etc, but I completely believe in what I'm saying at the same time. OH is a bit worried as usually these conversations end up with me in tears, unable to articulate why I'm crying.
    I'm generally ok in myself, am extremely tired particularly in the mornings, but then LO isn't sleeping through at present so it's to be expected. Some days I do feel very sad/low/inadequate but it's not constant by any means.
    So... is this sort of nonsense to be expected for many more months? I am breastfeeding and intend to continue as a main food source until 6 months, then we'll start mixed feeding in preparation for me going back to work at 7 months. She's just shy of 4 months at the moment. I'm looking for some reassurance here I think! Thank you fellow mums xxx

2. I totally felt like that about formula at four months, too - felt horifically guilty if I gave her any. however, by the time I went back to work at 6 months, I was ok about it -the fact we were starting to wean made it much easier as all my 'fears' about the virgin gut, almost contaminating LO (sorry for emotive language, particularly to bottle feeders, but it is how I felt) were much, much less. I felt much more 'normal' at six months (had been wavering in the PND camp for a month or two by then), and now, at ten months, feel totally back to normal. Well, as normal as usual - LO is crawling and eating and laughing and tantruming and just seems much more human and interactive, which makes it all much easier.
    I did express at work for about six weeks - I did it at form time in the afternoon (took about 20 minutes). School were hugely supportive and now I don't need to as boobs have adjusted.
    I similarly didn't really want to go back to work, but it was actually a lot better than I thought - I quite like the break from LO and being able to have a whole cup of tea and gossip is nice. I also massively enjoy and appreciate the time we have together - when I went back I was getting a bit cabin feverish and thinking 'oh god, another two hours until bed'.
    Mine still isn't sleeping through at 11 months - I am knackered and it is hard, I won't lie. Good luck - it does get better, I promise!

3. I have been thinking the same, I seem to go in loops- sometimes I am ok and everything is great, loving motherhood, the next I am convinced everything I am doing is bad, and am terrified of the future..... I do think it is important to go to the HV if things are not good- they can provide a lot of support. It is really important to look after your mental health, so be honest with GP/HV and see if they can help.

4. Thats exactly how I was for the first year moomoon. I think it takes ages for your hormones to settle into anything like normal.