1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long until you hear?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Sillow, May 3, 2012.

1. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Hello all,
    I've put in lots of applications recently and was wondering roughly how long schools take to contact shortlisted applicants. Some forms I've filled in say things like "If you have not heard from us within four weeks, assume you have been unsuccessful" and I'm thinking I will assume that a long time before those four weeks are up!
    Also, if an interview date is not listed on the advert or in the paperwork, should you assume it is the following week? Presumably the school would give you enough notice?
    Oh, and one final thing! I've seen an advert where the interviews are the week beginning May 14th. For any sane teacher, this is obviously SATs week. How much leeway would the school give to a Year 6 teacher, who feels like they should be there for their children that week?
    Sorry for the rambling questions! I can't sleep because things are going round and round in my head, so am trying to busy myself on here to tire myself out!

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

And another question...
    Is using my PGCE tutor from 3 years ago as a second reference a bad idea? I'm not sure who else I'd put; could I put 2 members of staff from my current school (one HT one Assistant Head)?
    I'm worried now that this is why I haven't been getting interviews, because I've done everything else in Theo's threads.
    Life is too complicated!

3. for your first question, it really depends on the school.

i had one interview on Wednesday, the school deadline was on Tuesday, and that's when they called me and the other candidates ( md panick to get ready for that one)
    Other school are more "reasonable" and you hear from them a few days/a week after the deadline.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The thing to remember at this time of year is that there is a deadline coming up. racing up!
    31 May
    So schools want to interview candidates in time for them to hand in their notice by then. Actually it is slightly less pressurised this year, as usually half term week comes earlier.
    The SATs week for interviews must be a mistake - bet the school will realise that and change it!
    Best wishes

5. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I've decided not to apply there, so the SATs week thing isn't an issue. But I thought it odd it said that week at all, so probably a mistake, as you say, Theo!
    Thanks for help answering my questions. I always have lots of questions...

6. I went for an interview last year during SATs week - I hated the school, the organisation and the behaviour so perhaps says something about schools who are interviewing during SATs week?

7. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Very possibly, Bobby! I think they're similar to the schools who expect teachers to visit before applying...

8. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Two out of the three places I've applied to within the last few months have informed me within 2 working days of the deadline, the other one was about 5 days after. MM