1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long to wait after Video Interview

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by BarryRiley, Oct 17, 2019.

1. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

I did a video interview for the tangled school in Singapore last weekend. Not a Skype interview, but one of the newer type of video interviews - answering questions written on a screen through an online platform.

It's only been 4 days since the closing date for submitting the interview but I was wondering whether to expect an email or not if I've not reached the next stage.

With a regular Skype interview you always would always get an email if you hadn't been successful but I don't know with a video interview as I don't know how many people they invite to produce them. It could be every qualified person who applies or it could be only a handful.

Any ideas?

2. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

I've applied for that school many times before however I've never made it to the video interview stage. They must be having to considering all video interview applicants across many different subject areas which takes time. Give it a few more days.

3. schonbeanie

schonbeanie New commenter

I
    I had mine as well last week. Last time it took them about two weeks to get back to me saying I had a face to face interview. I wouldn;t worry yet. Also I think their half term might be next week so liklihood is it'll be over a week till you get that email. Good luck! I think they are hiring for a number of jobs so agree it could take time.

4. 576

576 Established commenter

My experience says otherwise.

Teachallover likes this.
  5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

If you don't get the job, will they send you a video of someone saying, "Thank you for your application, but ..."?

6. lolly77

lolly77 New commenter

I had one of those almost 3 weeks ago but for a school in Bangkok. Heard nothing since, closing date was on Wednesday, but the job adverts have been reposted on TES with an extended closing date. Presuming I've been unsuccessful if they've extended the date, but who knows?!

7. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

What are these 'video interviews exactly' - questions on teaching e.g.'what would you do if...?' etc?

8. lolly77

lolly77 New commenter

It’s an automated video interview with various time allotments. For example; why do you want to work for us? 20 seconds to read the question and formulate a response, then it counts down and automatically starts to record your answer. The timings were different for each of my questions, some gave me 1 minute to prepare and 2 minutes to answer, another was 30 seconds to prepare and 1 minute to answer etc. It was the first time I’d done an automated interview before but it was really straightforward and you got to do a couple of practice questions beforehand. I got asked 7 questions and the whole process took less than half an hour.

spanboy likes this.
  9. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Occasional commenter

It must be odd to be interviewed by a computer! Out of interest, what's the next stage - Skype interview or do go to Singapore for face to face?

Orchid

10. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

I don't know. I would imagine it would be a Skype interview. I can't imagine them cutting it down to 2 people from a video interview or inviting more than 2 people over on a long-haul flight.

11. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Occasional commenter

Interesting. I assume they use the video interview because they have a lot of possible candidates who have the basic qualifications and experience on paper. It would be interesting to know how the videos are used - possibly it's just to get a bit of a feel for the applicants as you can't find out much from a few short clips of someone answering standard questions. It would make sense to narrow the field down to a smaller number for Skype or personal interviews.

Orchid

12. february31st

february31st Established commenter

This particular school and many others use a third party to filter out applications and only hand out a select few CVs to the principal.

Unfortunately if you dont have a double barreled hyphenate surname, an old colleague tie and sound like you have a silver spoon stuck in your mouth you fail the selection criteria.

13. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Helps if you're a speedy typist then!

14. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You don't type, you speak