1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

How long to stay at one school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by f0xsplit, May 21, 2011.

1. Hello,

I have been qualified now for 4 years and have worked in one school during my NQT then 3 years at another school. I am starting to wonder if it should be in my interests to consider a move. Although I really enjoy working at my current school I don't want to get 'into a rut'. I would hate to stand still and not become reflective on my own teaching, turning up and going through the motions just to pay the bills.

I have no ambition to be a headteacher, although I would consider being a dept if the opportunity ever arose. Even then, I have no burning desire to do this, as long as I have projects and tasks to challenge me within the classroom.

Anyone have any opinions on this? I have a permanent contract at the school I am in and do really enjoy working there.

2. It can be very tough changing school and since you seem happy I wouldn't move unless something really exciting came up somewhere else. Have you spoken to you hod, maybe ask for some extra responsibility in your current school so that you have some extra stuff to talk about when you move or try for promotion. This is a good position to be in as you can wait for the perfect job rather than being forced to move due to relocation or something.

3. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Try for more experience within your school. Eg change yr grps/KS

4. With the job market as it is, my opinion would be not to give up a good thing. Even if you find another job to start in September, likeliness is that it would be a temporary contract for 1 year. You're in a good school which you enjoy, you have no problems there, you have a permanent contract, personally I think it would be foolish to give that up! Every year you get a new cohort of kids and maybe move to a different year group, so why would you get stuck in a rut? I know teachers who have been at the same school for 20 odd years and that's never been a problem, so it's not about how long you're there, it's about your attitude towards it. Personally, I don't see where the problem or need to move lies.

5. karentee

karentee New commenter

I don't think that there is any particular number of years to stay in one school, you know when the time is right, when you have done all you can in your school then it's time to move on, for some people that comes after a couple of years, for others it might never happen.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well, with a permanent contract, you've missed the boat for this year anyway. So see how you feel next easter time. If you feel you are in a rut then move, if you are happy and challenged then stay.

Sounds odd, but you will just know when the time is right to move.

7. Thanks for the replies. I am not really considering moving right now but was just thinking about it for the future. I am pretty challenged at the moment in the fields that I have responsibility for but it is very frustrating when others do not hold the same aspirations that I do!