1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how long to sort out behaviour in YR

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by thatone, Dec 2, 2011.

1. thatone

thatone New commenter

I was hoping for some advice here.I have taken over a Reception class to cover sickness. I have been there for about two weeks. The first week was fairly uncertain as I was going in on a day by day basis. I am also an NQT.
    Anyway I am having issues with how to structure the day and also with behaviour management - the class is very noisy and during CIL time when I am trying to read with individual children I get lots of them coming up to me to show me what they have done/complain about other children. I keep being told to be very firm with them, have high expectations and the constant advice, though well-meant is wearing me down. How long should it take for the class to settle down? I am told by some they were better with their class teacher but my partner teacher implies that behaviour was an issue then as well. Feel a bit lost really

2. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Have a firm rule that noisy games happen outside. If they get too noisy indoors, then stop everyone and tell them they can carry on, but they need to be outside. If they don't, then after a warning, split up the groups of noisy children. I'd have a think about whether reading with individual children is the best use of your time during CIL. If you work with groups of children, or involve yourself in their play to help focus them, then the noise level generally reduces. Particularly if you target the noisy groups first.

3. you could also try having a visual reminder if the noise level is too high, I have used traffic lights before, I used circles of red orange and green with sad straight and smiling faces on them. I taught the children that if I put the red face up then I was unhappy with the noise and they had to quieten down or I would stop them, bring them to the carpet and we would have to have a 'talk' about why we should work quietly inside. they soon got the idea
    I agree with the 'be firm' comment but I don't think there is a hard and fast rule about how long it will take
    Smile, believe in yourself and Good luck!

4. thatone

thatone New commenter

Thank you all some really good strategies here

5. Hi,
    I'm in no way an expert as I haven't taught reception, but I have got experience with this age of child in other settings. My suggestion would be to have a circle time/carpet lesson on the class rules, tell the chn about any new rules you are implementing (such as the hat idea, traffic lights etc), and then model them for the chn in a game or similar. They will need to practise getting ti right, but without a dedicated teaching session on what your rules are, it probably won't get through to them very quicky.
    Good luck!