1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long should you stay teaching in one year group?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dizzymai, Mar 21, 2010.

1. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I think three years is ideal but you need to be careful when you move.
    OFSTED due - stay put.
    LEA unhappy with your school - stay put.

2. This is probably good advice. Wish it was the case in my school. We have a varied intake each year which knocks on to other classes. Some years its 23 in Nursery, sometimes in the 30's and this year 48 !. We always gain and lose in other year groups as parents like to play around with the local schools. We tend to lose our kids to them and get a few new ones from them in return. Sometimes break time is like Friends Reunited" as kids bump into mates they were in school with a few miles down the road.
    I think it is nice to change too but not too frequently.

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I am in my second year of teaching year 6 but the head does like to shuffle things around quite a bit. He doesn't like people to get too relaxed or in a 'comfort zone'. Personally I think that's a fairly negative way of looking at things. I would view the more years as building up experience and getting better.

I know I want to stay in year 6 for a while longer. Especially if the curriculum is going to change, there is always something new to bring in. The other year 6 teacher is a bit set in their ways (but this would be the case whatever year they are in) so I need a little longer to win them round to some new ideas.

What really gets me though is that we don't find out what year we are going to be in until early July. This is too late for handing in notice and trying to find a new job. If people want to work in a certain year they should be allowed, especially if they applied for a job in a certain year group.

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I think in many primaries the changes are largely within Key Stages, but of course, there will be those teachers who are good in the Y2/3/4 range, or Y1/2/3 or similar, so may cross KS boundaries. Similarly, there are many stories of teachers moving from Y6 to Y2 or further.
    The other thing that strikes me as odd is this feeling that if you didn't change year group then you'd become stagnant or bored. Can you imagine a Secondary school that made its teachers move subject every three years?

5. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

LOL or more, mini plenaries are the future, apparently!