1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long should you provide cover work for if you are absent from work?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by georgebn29, Oct 11, 2015.

1. georgebn29

georgebn29 New commenter

I have worked in several schools...
    1. Provide no cover work HOD provides it.

2. In another school only provide 3 days worth.

3. In another school provide for the full duration of being absent.

What are union guidelines on this and what are others experiences.

2. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I think it depends on the circumstances, to be honest. In relation to short-term:

Last year, I was off for a week with bronchitis and did send in daily lesson plans - this was for my benefit as well since I knew what they were doing and it meant an easier return for me (no big panic about what faced me, particularly as I was still a little wobbly when I returned) That seemed to be the policy at that school - in fact, cover was put onto the computer system so if you were asked to cover someone, you (in theory) find out what the lesson was.

In my new school, my HOD recommended that I leave some plans for each class just in case - so I made up some activities for each level, put in plastic pocket folders and have left them in the filing bit next to my desk with a note, so if something comes up, I don't have to worry if I do ring in for a day or so. In this school, we have had one staff member out for several weeks and she still sends in materials to cover her lessons (and others in her department are helping out).

However, my secondary experience is very limited (I have only worked in three schools over the last two years (one - a one-term temp; second - one year fixed term, and my new school (hopefully permanent)); prior to that, I worked FE and university teaching....

I think the advice given in the thread mentioned by snowyhead above deals with long-term time off and of course, then the issues are very different to a one or two day absence.

best wishes

4. mark6243

mark6243 Occasional commenter

Just tell them, when you call in that you've been signed off, that doc has insisted you have nothing to do with work whilst you recover. [This comment/section has been edited for breaching our Community Guidelines]

5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Setting work might keep SLT from your door but, personally, I don't think you can set work for 2/3 days only as you won't get feedback as to 'where they are'.

Also, the chances of it being done are limited. Whether it's supply, CS, TA or others, work sent in is often ignored and on your return, you will be subject to a wide variety of excuses, some very imaginative!!

Personally I'd stick to the 'I was too ill'.

cat2611 and mark6243 like this.
  6. chouxbunsmum

chouxbunsmum New commenter

I too have been signed off with stress. I have been off a week already, where I set work daily. I will now be off until the first day back after half term. I have also handed in my resignation.

Should I be setting work? Thanks.

7. cat2611

cat2611 Occasional commenter

I am signed off with stress too. I don't think the school can ask for planning or even contact you when you are signed off with stress as them contacting you or you doing work will make you feel more stressed.

Has the head got copies of your long term and medium term plans? If so they can be used by the supply teacher. The head doesn't have my medium term plans so I sent an email to briefly explain what the children have already done in each subject and what I was going to do next.

I think even sending in medium term plans or providing any information is going above and beyond what you need to do.

8. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

If I was signed off, I'd send nothing (especially if it's work related stress). People are paid more to deal with that.

If I'm off for 1-2 days general sickness the. I'd probably send in my power points. It makes my life easier when I get back and saves colleagues scrambling around to sort cover.

chouxbunsmum likes this.