1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long should you leave it before you reapply to the same school

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cys2017, Oct 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

Hello

I was wondering how long people usually leave it until they reapply to the same school they have previously had a unsuccessful interview at?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. annie2020

annie2020 New commenter

I guess the waiting time depends on the reason why you were not successful. Is it something that you have been able to address since the interview? If so, make a point of addressing the issue in your new application to show the school that it's been dealt with.

cys2017, agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Treat each application as a new one. I know many teachers who have reapplied to a school and had a successful outcome. Some interviewers will see it as a confirmation of your commitment to that school. The interviewers could also be different and there are likely to be other subtle changes between applications that you are unaware of such as staff leaving etc. Good luck!

Lara mfl 05, agathamorse and cys2017 like this.
  4. cys2017

The head teacher will be a new one as the one I got interviewed by is no longer there should I still do this. Or just treat it as a comple fresh interview. However there were 2 people at the panel

5. cys2017

Hi thanks for your response, I know that they have recently appointed a new head teacher so will the new head teacher be aware that I have previously applied. I remember there was someone else at the panel too but don’t remember her role. If both people are different shall I still say that I was unsuccessful last time.

6. annie2020

annie2020 New commenter

Don't mention that you were previously unsuccessful. If there was a specific reason why you didn't get the job last time you could work it into your application in a roundabout way, in case another person looks over applications and remembers you.

E.g. say you were unsuccessful because of your lack of a first aid qualification: 'I recently successfully completed a first aid course.'

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  7. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Paperwork for a previous application should be destroyed - data protection - so there won't be much of an evidence trail, beyond the memories of those people who dealt with you previously (and believe me, we forget unsuccessful candidates quite quickly!)

Lara mfl 05 and cys2017 like this.
  8. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

As the other posters advise don't mention previous lack of success- the aim is to present a good version of yourself at interview. I remember one interview when the teacher was really strong and we were about to appoint but then she went into a whole self deprecation rant which obviously raised concerns so we rejected. In addition the new Headteacher is likely to have they own approaches and ideas. Further data protection requires that records are destroyed once a selection phase has been completed.

9. cys2017

Okay thanks. Sounds reassuring. I don’t know if I have an interview yet but if I do I’ll let you all know if I get it this time

Lara mfl 05 likes this.