1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long should a letter of application be?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Amphibien, Jan 19, 2012.

1. I am writing a letter of application for a job in South East Asia and I am wondering how long my letter of application should be. It is currently three-pages long, which I fear might be too much. However, I am paranoid about leaving out that very important point which could have otherwise helped me get the job!
    So far this season I have applied to 20 jobs and only got ONE phone interview...so I am starting to think I am not doing the right thing.
    Feedback from SMT forum members much appreciated!

2. I am writing a letter of application for a job in South East Asia and I am wondering how long my letter of application should be. It is currently three-pages long, which I fear might be too much. However, I am paranoid about leaving out that very important point which could have otherwise helped me get the job!
    So far this season I have applied to 20 jobs and only got ONE phone interview...so I am starting to think I am not doing the right thing.
    Feedback from SMT forum members much appreciated!

3. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

How long is a piece of string? Keep it short and sweet, make it personal to the school and demonstrate what you can offer to develop our school further. If you cannot get that on to two pages max, try again and get editing. I am intellectually challenged, so unless you are obviously superb and one in a generation you will not make the short list (and the lists this year are really short). The same applies to the cv - draft and redraft until it is easy to read, contains all the information an interviewer needs and is correct in grammar and syntax. Simple.

4. Thanks Syria1!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And I will add: 2 sides in a reasonable size, readable, font. And with those white bits at the side of the page.
    Don't think that by printing with hardly any margins, and in Font 9, you can cram 3 or 4 pages worth on to 2 sides.
    Show that you can prioritise what is important to the school.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but even in these digital days I still like my application letters to have standard formatting: address and dates in the top right, etc.

7. Well, I managed to make my application letter two pages, font 11, it has some margins of some kind, the school address and my address, references to the school and how I could help it develop...fingers crossed...
    Thank a lot for the advice

8. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

You are welcome. Good luck!

9. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Got an application in the fall that included 2 cover letters - short (4 page) and long (8 page) versions - and at least 8 additional documents.
    Every document with highlighting, multiple colors of ink and variety of fonts.
    There were position papers on the IB versus IGCSE, and on the latest DP Sciences courses.
    Great claims about the vast numbers of students, in the thousands, whom he'd personally shepharded to DP success - all achieving "at least 45 points."
    Of great interest was the detailed analysis of our school, with a list of steps to be taken, broken down into IMMEDIATE, TO BE DONE BEFORE I ARRIVE, and I WILL HANDLE WHEN I ARRIVE.
    There was a long discussion of the great number of positions he could fill, from classroom teacher to grand vizar of educational everythingness, though he wasn't concerned about the title - he felt it would be more important that we agreed on the importance and philosophy of the role. Then again, perhaps the best action would be to create a new position for him, something that would allow him to put all his considerable skills and ideas to use, without the constraints of traditional roles.
    And then the ultimate threat: Upon hiring, he would immediately prepare a 50 page action plan for our school board, that he would take personal responsibility for fulfilling.
    Sadly, he turned down our offer.

10. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Most people do tend to turn down an offer to procreate with themselves.

11. I work with a colleague who went on for at least 15 minutes over his seventh scotch about how much he liked to procreate with himself at the last committee meeting we had after school. What's the content area, there? I could send him your way...

12. I'm only guessing [​IMG] but I reckon it would be pretty tough to do.
    Even after a
    I enjoy seven and more myself at times but have never attempted to **** myself during or after.
    Physical achievements aside, I was quite hurt that the OP's request was to SMTs only...
    There are plenty of lowly folk who could have offered help.
    And there are some shocking SMTs out there, too.....

13. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Letter one or two pages- does not really matter - point is relevance. Same with the CV, two or three pages, but make sure you have a clear prior employment history on there. And choose a formal photo, not one of you on the beach... I think FP makes sense anyway.