1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long qualified before you can mentor?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by chris_elevate, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'd like to put myself forward as a mentor for a ITT student. I've nearly finished my NQT year and have recently been made HoD.
    Could someone let me know what the offical line on this one is please? I thought it was after successful completion of the NQT year?
    Thanks

2. hummi7883

hummi7883 New commenter

wow can u be HOD so early?
    Congratulations!!

3. Thanks.

Anyone know the answer to the mentoring query?

Thanks

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I am not aware that there is an statutory guidance on this. In my school, you would really be expected to be a year post-NQT. I'm using a buddy system next year to train this year's NQT to mentor in 2012-13.
    I also think you might find you have quite enough on your plate in your first year as HoD, to be honest.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

One of my teacher tutors at the moment is in her second year of teaching and is doing well with her student. I'm the mentor and have overall responsibility and do all the observations and paperwork, but she does the day to day in class support. That half way step might be good for you?

I'm expecting our current NQT to do similar next year as well. (Expecting might be too strong a word, hoping to persuade might be better!)

Presumably you will be HOD of a fairly small, 1 or 2 person, department?

6. You might get a better response in the NQT forum as mentors look in there as well as fellow NQTs.

7. There is no guidance or offical advice on how long a person should be quyalified before they mentor. I know of mentors who were in year 2 of their teaching. There are pros and cons - one pro is that you are close to the requirements for QTS therevore understand the standards. One con is that your level of experience is quite shallow and so you may require help to deal witrh the range of situations that can arise witrh trainees.
    If yoiu are also taking on a new role in your school I would advise against taking on too much - you have to prioritise and make sure that you can fulfill your duties towards the children and your department before you get into taking on yet more responsibility.
    James

8. Thanks guys for your help and advice.

9. mpc

mpc

Really good answer, James.
    Mentoring isn't really so much about years on the job as an attitude/suitability thing. That said, it is good to have substantial experience of your own before you begin. Some of the best mentors I've known have been 'young' in teaching years but I would agree that HOD duties are substantial too.
    Good luck,
    mpc