1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long on the carpet?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Apr 12, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I keep seeing and hearing things about how long children should be on the carpet... and as i'm dreadful at keeping them on the carpet, my personal target this term is to be a bit more snappy. But how long as a max? I understand a lot of people send them away to do something then bring them back to consolidate, then off to activities, what sort of things do you do for those few minutes and how do you make sure they are all on task? I usually give my class time on whiteboards on the carpet to have a go themselves and then consolidate but am thinking maybe they should actually move to try it, but worry that a number of them will take advantage as a moment to sit and do nothing!?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ooo and mine is to be LESS snappy...especially with SLT. :)

I probably have them on the carpet for about 15 mins if it is a standard 3 part lesson. They don't get a chance to do nothing because they are too busy working.

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Does that include the mental / oral? And do you bring them back to the carpet during the lesson? I wish I could say mine are too busy working but sadly some would see it as a window to sit and stare into space... lol.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

For maths yes. 5-10 mins starter, 5-10 mins input for main part. Then off until the plenary. But they do at least 2 different activities before the plenary, one adult led and at least one independent.

For literacy about 10-15 mins phonics (revise and teach parts) and usually finish with an action song that gets them up and moving. Then 5-10 mins input. Then off to tables until the plenary. Again usually at least 2 activities before the plenary.

But not all lessons are like this by any means, just the standard 3 part ones.

5. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

I have y2 and I usually have them on carpet for about 20 mins for maths or literacy, 10-15 mins for topic. But I keep it active, make sure there is a chance to move eg an action song or even a quick stand up/sit down vote or something like that. Also lots of talk partner breaks.

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Iwas criticised by OFSTED for making my intro too long. (15 minutes) but I really, really needed to make sure they understood what they needed to do in the lesson to show that they were working independently. Seems you can't win.

7. I have just got rid of my carpet space for my year 3 class. As a result I have gained more time with them not wasting time moving around. This was suggested by SLT as a way to pack more teaching in.

8. None of our KS2 classes have carpet space. Occasionally, as a treat, they can move chairs and gather together for story or whatever, but usually all teaching at desks. We are quite a formal school but also don't relaly have the space for larger children, plus carpet space, plus desks!

9. How sad!
    I find children learn in all sorts of places not just at desks even in KS2! I have always had a carpet space and for the last 30 years never had a desk for each child ( nor myself)) in the class and always had a reading corner and often a role play area and learning has happened and satisfied Ofsted, SLT and of course the children!
    I go with the belief that children can concentrate for 1 minute for each year of their life plus 1 minute up to a miximum of 20 minutes and this has enabled me well over many years teaching in all kinds of schools and lots of LAs.