1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long it took for Hunt to bankrupt the NHS.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Mar 6, 2016.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[​IMG]

More than rather worrying.

2. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

How did he manage to spend all that money? Has he got people to pretend to be ill?

3. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

You know how in schools the stock cupboard is empty coming up to the end of the financial year and how frustrating it is? Now imagine the same in a hospital and I can tell you it is flipping scary! "Oh sorry it has taken me ages to change your septic dressings, we have run out and I have spent the last hour going from ward to ward to find some." "You know those sachets of cream I gave you? Can I have half of them back because I need them for another patient." " I know you have been lying in a soiled pad for the last half hour, but we have run out and the only other ward that had your size was at the other end of the hospital."
    Job well done Jeremy C-hunt!

cissy3 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

This is what happens when Conservative governments get into power. I bet Hunt has private medical care.

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  5. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Think beyond the rhetoric. What are the reasons for the deficits? Why is expenditure exceeding income?

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

You tell us Fritz, I'm sure you have the (made up) figures there with you in Con central.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Be fair!

I don't think he did it on his own!

[​IMG]

8. grumpydogwoman

upload_2016-3-7_9-35-50.png

He may have had a little help.

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Poor management from the top.

Management is always quick to claim the credit for anything positive and often equally quick to point the finger when it comes to negatives.

cissy3 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

If I am to let facts cloud the issue:) then we could start with PPI., swiftly followed by over-burgeoning management structures, just for starters.
    Your move.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

If nomad's maps showed just a few regional changes, it could possibly be put down to poor local management or unexpected local demands, but the fact that it's nationwide and the differences so stark, tells us there is an underlying issue that must surely be due to government policy.

lexus300 likes this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

I assume that the current popularity of teaching will have much the same result in schools.

I know from experience that the wages afforded to supply staff are pitiful but the proliferation of agencies suggests to me that someone is doing quite well out of it.

cissy3 and lexus300 like this.
  13. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Rather than argue (and say rude things about Hunt) I have found this to be remarkably therapeutic
    http://huntjeremy.co.uk/

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Strange how PPI and Government policies are not being discussed.

15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Do they do that thing with hospitals where, if they miss targets (like A&E waiting times because stupid people turn up to A&E with a cut finger) the hospital gets less money?

Hospitals also overspend because of having to employ agency nurses (because of the lack of NHS nurses), having to contract out services which doesn't save any money in the long-run etc.

Oh, and the expensive layer of middle-management - and, do senior management get bonuses?

Bring back Matron, is what I say.

lexus300 likes this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've heard my local hospital described as a fiscal black hole. It's a new build with PPI contracts and it seems to be sucking money deeper and deeper into it at the cost of services.

Still, we've got a shiny building and prime central land for developers to build flats on.

17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Whilst we wait in eager anticipation of Madge's answer, I thought it might be worth contemplating a precis of an article that I read in Inside Housing today.

An aging population and growing demand for services means we should expect to see more pressure on the NHS. The recent Kings Fund report suggests that NHS trusts can expect to be £2.3bn in the red this year.

The country's population is projected to rise 25% by 2033. The numbers of those aged 65-74 will increase by 54% and those aged 75 or over are expected to sour by 97%. It's estimated that two fifths of NHS spending is committed to those over 65, which makes for a worrying scenario when large numbers of NHS beds are tied up accommodating them thanks to lack of suitable social care when they're ready to leave hospital.

The article refers to a speech from our PM last September when he emphasised the importance of Smarter Government which through early intervention would avoid having to pick up the pieces when things have reached crisis point.

Essentially, the point that's being made, is that what we really lack is joined up thinking between government departments. Dare we ask how many hospital admissions come as a consequence of inadequate provision in other areas? Dare we ask whether better social housing, for example, or more funding for social services would reduce the drain on the NHS? Might they also reduce the strain on the police and prison services too?

Are we actually gaining anything from the ever-increasing amounts spent on education, for which I've yet to see anything substantive from, other than an increase in the number of teachers requiring the use of NHS resources to help them cope with the stress involved in providing the nation with the mythical super-educated citizens of the future?

I put it to you that this, and most governments in recent years don't have the capacity for joined up thinking. It interferes with ideologies, even if we had politicians with sensible plans. They all fight among themselves for a percentage of the ever-decreasing pot of money that comes from reducing taxation, increasing numbers of minimum wage jobs which consequently bring burdens on benefits such as housing benefit, which wouldn't really need to exist if housing was affordable.

Is it really so difficult for the brightest of the bright to work out?

viceroy and Mangleworzle like this.