1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How Long is Normal to Wait for a Response?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Chica21, Mar 2, 2012.

1. How long do you normally wait after sending out a CV? I'm getting frustrated!?

2. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

I have sent out over 20 applications and had 3 interviews with 2 more scheduled for this week. Only one job offer. In my limited experience, I found out within 2 or 3 days if the school was going to proceed after recieving my app. How many apps. have you sent out?

3. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

ps. please do not correct my spelling..... I never could get the hang of the "i before e" thing.

4. About the same as you. We are a teaching couple, with 5 degrees between us, excellent references and 2-years' experience each. We've been applying all week with only one interview (allbeit for a very prestigious school).

I'd heard times are hard but I thought we fit the profile they were looking for very well. We're a little puzzled.

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

There's your answer.

6. I got a response within 3 hours of the interview.

7. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Response to CV and application form/letter etc: varies from next day to 2 weeks to never
    Repsonse to interview: varies from right there sign up to an hour later (they probably didn't want to offend the other candidates by offering it to me right away), to next day to a week later to two weeks later (probably couldn't get their top 3 or 4 candidates to accept) to, extoardinarily, six months later, to never.

Average? Bout a week for CV, a day or two for interview, both usually positive.

Don't sweat it, you'll get what you deserve, just keep at it.

8. Thanks Kemevez,

I'll just keep waiting. I was told having only 2-years' experience can also work in our favour due to a lower salary but that doesn't seem to be the case according to Karvol. Do others agree with him/her?

9. Where in the ME are you headed?

10. Teaching couple here too...so far all but nothing. 12 and 9 yrs exp with the last 4 being at a top international school, good refs and previous exp. Only had one interview...and they messed us around, big time. sending off applications regularly but a just not getting a look in.....even got so bad that the last job was:
    1: in an area of the world that isn't mega popular.
    2: for a job I was almost uniquely qualified for.
    3: had a friend who was really good mates with the head and who put a good word in for me.
    Result:
    Nothing...not even an interview.
    Where is the sense?

11. We don't have the experience like you guys do but we've started applying to schools that, should we have made a list of all the countries in the world, would probably be in the bottom 10. I don't really understand it, I know our CVs are very well-written, I guess we'll just have to keep tapping those countries where we're likely to be kidnapped and murdered.. we'll get one in the end, ;)

12. Yeah we are now doing the same.....depressing!....next stop is SEARCH associates....though that seems to be a bit of a meat market from what I have heard off of friends.....Added to that, most of the Search fairs have been and gone...so I wonder what jobs are exactly is left....all the ones who "Couldn't" fill or are just plain desperate...Ohh the exciting prospect that conjures up!

13. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

There are no easy answers as to why you get asked for interview or not. Schools may very well have an agenda that they need to fill - single, married, experienced, male, female - that they cannot make explicit.
    The thing with salary is that any school which has a pay scale dependent upon experience will, generally, be the type of school where experienced is valued and rewarded. Equally as well, any school which does not value experience will look for those with the greatest experience willing to work for the lowest wages.
    Unfortunately, there is always someone who thinks that the deal you turned down for being too derisory is more than acceptable for their circumstances.
    So where does that leave you?
    Well, the honest answer is, no idea. Your experience is too little for the better schools but your qualifications ( and therefore your expectations and ability to ask awkward questions ) may be too high for the lesser celebrated schools.
    I guess it is a case of pursuing the current school you are courting and hoping for the best.
    Good luck.

14. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

I would agree with Karvol - it is not the case that 2-3 year experience will count to your advantage because you are cheaper than someone who has been teaching for 8-10 years. It depends on whether your teaching is top-notch and whether you suit the School (and whether you consider the School viable). In the greater scheme of things we would rather have an experienced teacher who stayed with us and made a good contribution over 6 years or so in preference to someone who was green out, had unrealistic expectations and left after two years. Recruiting is expensive and time-consuming and you want to get it right first time. Personal recommendations might sometimes get you a foot in the door to the interview stage - but that is becoming more and more seldom.

15. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I hope you are NOT primary!

16. lovely.lady

Here's my scenario (following a very kind HT who has given feedback)
    We didn't shortlist you because:-
    • not enough recent UK experience - I have been overseas 7 years teaching UK curriculum
    • only 1 position in the UK - failed to recognise that I had 3 positions in the UK from NQT year until taking up 1st overseas position
    • you've stayed only 2 years in a position - explained in application letter - eldest son = spinal surgery for extended time off; youngest son = broke his leg on visit to UK hospital 8 weeks; mum = seriously ill so had to change locations with same employer to be closer - not exactly professional related excuses!
    I've also been told my references are excellent but I interviewed badly. My primary experience is too varied.
    I'm not exactly sure what schools want - some say international experience; some say only UK experience; some don't say
    It's a minefield

17. lovely.lady

Further - one of my international schools evacuated the whole staff then dangled us on a long rope for several months before sacking everyone and closing the school - political unrest in a very unstable country! Not exactly unavoidable reasons don't you think?

18. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

Your experience of job hunting sounds just like mine lovely.lady.
    I applied for a Physics job at a school near me in March last year and again in October. I had an interview in October but didn't hear back from the school. I rang them when I saw that the same job was still advertised on their website in January. No luck, I wasn't offered the job. I had been sent an email a week after the interview apparently. I'm still waiting for said email.
    Now they are advertising it again, so I am going to apply again, but I really wonder what they are playing at when a qualified, unemployed teacher is sitting on their doorstep and they would rather have the job unfilled. Then if I do get anything it will be a temporary contract, I'm so fed up! I have to stay where I am for family reasons but I'm starting to loose hope of ever finding a decent job.

19. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Here are a couple of my experiences to show that there's no simple answer to how long.

Quite a while ago I applied for a position and didn't hear for a long time. I'm now looking forward to starting, at what I gather is a very good school, in August.

Also, subsequent to this, I received an email from another group of schools saying that they didn't have anything suitable when they initially received my application, but that they were now very interested.

So, as you can see, even if you don't receive a reply for weeks, or sometimes months, it doesn't always mean that you are out of the running.

Hope, in these fiercely competitive times, that this offers those still looking a little encouragement.

20. What's the point? It doesn't apply!