1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long is it safe to keep food in the freezer?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by emylou, May 5, 2012.

1. emylou

emylou New commenter

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I got a rack of lamb out of the freezer for dinner tomorrow & just realised I actually bought it in February- is it still safe to eat?
    </td></tr></table>

2. emylou

emylou New commenter

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I got a rack of lamb out of the freezer for dinner tomorrow & just realised I actually bought it in February- is it still safe to eat?
    </td></tr></table>

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Yep, should be fine. Might have a little bit of freezer burn but it will be fine!

4. emylou

emylou New commenter

Sorry, what's freezer burn? (Can you tell I'm normally a microwave meal girl?)

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Of course it is, you'll find guidelines for length of time things keep in the freezer, Deterioration will be in quality rather than safety. Any pathogenic bacteria are rendered inactive below 0C and some will be killed. So freezing is a safe way of keeping food. Freezer burn occurs when a part of the food is not covered and may affect the taste but will not harm you.
    Freezing merely freezes the water in a food and the ice crystals formed may break down the cell walls, hence lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries don't freeze well!

http://www.martins-seafresh.co.uk/frozen_facts.htm

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Freezer burn is when the water content of the food dries off and the food oxidises, this occurs when the food is not tightly covered in the freezer. It won't harm you.

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

in short some peices, if they have been exposed etc, might be a little bit drier than other bits

[​IMG]