1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long have YOU spent posting on TES?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Whilst I realise may posters actually post whilst doing other other things (such as watching TV, listening to the radio or music, preparing lessons, invigilating, teaching - perhaps!), it is also the case that some posters have spent an awfully long time doing so.

If one takes an arbitrary length of time as an average for each post - say 5 minutes - and multiply the number of messages posted TES handily provide for each poster by 5, one gets the number of minutes taken; divide by 60 to get the number of hours and then by 24 one gets the number of full, 24 hour days spent posting.

For me 1280 posts = 6400 minutes = 106.66 hours = 4.44 days! That seemed, at first, an incredibly long time. But it's not. Really.

Now I then took a look at a few other posters (not all, by any means; I've probably missed several posters with huge numbers who don't post any longer) and their number of posts and was amazed how many more they have posted. One (I'm not going to say whom) seems to have spent (according to my very rough & ready formula) a whole school year posting! (190 days!)

So, if you dare, out yourself here. How many days have YOU spent posting?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well I tried your rough and ready method, though I did an average of 3 mins, as sometimes I do one line posts and they're under a minute and it can out as 77 days! Though my number has run on throughout all the upgrades and I've been posting since 2008 so that's 12 years and roughly 6 1/2 days per year.

ajrowing, needabreak and Morninglover like this.
  3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

5 mins a post = 34.15 days over 13 years = 2.63 days/year or 10.5 mins per day on average.

Lara mfl 05 and Morninglover like this.
  4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The amount of time spent composing posts falls into insignificance compared to the amount of time wasted spent reading what others have written.

lindenlea, Aquamarina1234, WB and 7 others like this.
  5. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Well, Dukey - your posts are not known for their brevity....

6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I might incriminate myself.

Shedman, colpee, Lara mfl 05 and 2 others like this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

You're right.
    OP is still pretty astute with the numbers mind, since it takes on average 4.44 days to read one of your posts.
    That's just the average mind; once I had to stop for a haircut in the middle of one of them.
    :p

8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I never post on here.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's gratifying to know that the content of that post was so riveting, you stuck at it for so long.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've written a dissertation on your posts to support my Masters.

Hoping to repeat the process on your 2020 posts so I can achieve my Doctorate... then I can push pens into holes in people's necks on air planes... whether they like it or not.

11. Bill8899

Bill8899 New commenter

Let's see 20 (21!) posts at 5 minutes per = 105 minutes.
    More realistically, 21 posts at 3 minutes each (or less) = 63 minutes.
    It is largely a waste of time. Posting this was a waste of time. Thanks for helping me see that.

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

What intrigues me is there are threads in the Entertainment forum where some posters can knock out eight or nine posts in the space of ten seconds, and each post will receive seven hundred and sixty two likes.
    I guess that's further proof that a discerning readership will always go for quality not quantity.

13. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

That's Entertainment. We're more measured here.

Lara mfl 05 and sbkrobson like this.
  14. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

This incarnation of TES? Some posts are longer than others...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Can't ''knock out eight or nine posts in the space of ten seconds"... there's a 30 second delay between posts.

So it'd be 4-5 minutes.

And the "likes" are usually 7-8...

16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah, thanks for that, always good to have the facts from those who know their stuff.
    Sometimes you'd almost think I like to exaggerate just for dramatic effect and attention!

17. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Who knows. But gone are the days when it was a social club where you couldn't hope to keep up with all the conversations.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Works for me.

It's how I got the hand of MrsLan

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Steady....too much information!

20. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

But how did you get the rest of her?