1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long have you been without any supply work?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tobychainsaw, Mar 9, 2012.

1. I didn't get a single day's supply work last term. This term has been far better

2. useless

useless New commenter

I've had lots of work since January - probably because most of the PE NQT'S are doing maternity covers and this is always the busiest time of year in my expereince (12 years). Last term was the worst yet - I'm not sure what the rest of the year will bring.

3. Hi Lara, I have had the same thing working on the Isle of Wight. I am working again but only through an agency... So for working a full week I get the same as I earned for working three days a week last year! I have been able to rescedule some work to evenings so income ok, but it is really tiring. My advice would be if you want to work and can accept your earning won't be as good as supply list join an agency and grin and bear it. If you are also on the Island PM - I could do with the cash reward for referring a teacher and can tell you which agencies have work on the island and which just pretend they do!

4. tolkien28

tolkien28 New commenter

Well i count myself really lucky that between 3 schools i am averaging 4 days a week work in the primary sector. I've never known my work load be so heavy. It really is down to the fact that i'm known, respected and trusted to do a good job across both key stages. Its very hard work, but i never take the amount of work i'm getting for granted, but i am looking forward to the end of term!

5. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

The most days I have been without supply work is probably 5 days/a week (Christmas), I average about 3 days a week and I have a job covering a class every Friday til July. I also have built up relationships with schools and get myself on their preferred lists. I feel quite lucky both with my work load and the fact my agency never send me beyond Year4 unless theyre really desperate. I think with primary supply if you hit certain schools at the right time and your cheap (NQT) you can manage to work most weeks.