1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long have you been a jobseeker?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mrswindows54, Jul 13, 2010.

1. <font face="Times New Roman">I </font>qualified in 2003 for primary and while I have worked mostly all the time in temporary contracts I still can not find that elusive permanent job. I get some interviews every year and have even been successful in a few of the fixed terms one but am wondering how long have others searched for the permanent job? I had an interview at my current temp place but was unsuccessful.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Admittedly I'm not NQT but a 'reurn-to-teaching' mum - therefore comparatively expensive, who has been trying for 17 years to get that all elusive permanent job!

3. I am not an NQT etiher thankfully. How long have you been 'back'? I had another interview today and feel like I may never get there!

4. I'm not an NQT either and still looking. Nothing ever seems to work out does it.

5. vou

vou

snap!! In the same boat. Took a break from teaching to be mum and now can't get back into permanent or full time due to being too expensive!! Have filled in tons of application forms, even managed a few interviews but no luck!!

6. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Since 2005. Still have one term of my induction to do so can't even supply as a teacher now.

7. Over the past fortnight, I have noted that:
    a. a special school in Berkshire prefers training up teaching assistants to hiring properly qualified and suitably experienced professionals
    b. an agency on CV Library is touting for graduates to place in schools as teaching assistants, with a view to their going down the GTP route
    c. a foundation school in the East End of London failed to inform well experienced (ie expensive) candidates after interviews to fill a fixed term ASDAN post, presumably because a less experienced candidate will 'dress' the folders in the desired fashion
    It seems obvious to me that many schools are already thinking out of the pocket as it is, and it will only get worse here after.

8. Hello PlymouthMaid, what have you been doing since 2005? Did you get another job whilst still looking for a teaching post? I will be in a similar situation in Feb next year - not allowed to do any supply teaching because I have only completed one term of induction and still have two to do having graduated in 2008. I am considering getting a temp office work whilst still looking for a teaching job from Sept but am not sure whether this move will not harm my chances of teaching.

9. I got my PGCE in 1998 and other than a few temporary contracts I've done nothing but supply work. Interviews have been few and far between too and I didn't get the first one until 2001.
    The fact that I have been able to stay in teaching doing supply work of various lengths of time should demonstrate that I'm commited and reliable.
    The biggest problem is explaining to school recruiters that my time in Industry is not a negative.

10. Hi

Am in exactly the same boat as you. Isn't it awful? Am getting really anxious now as I can only supply up until January. Also am on m4 and possibly m5 from September - is there any hope? Have also been wondering whether to go for something else but my heart keeps saying go on to the bitter end as I want a teaching job so much. Would be nice to keep in touch to offer each other support as friends/family are sympathetic but are not in this situation themselves.

11. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Hi again Missnet - since 2002 I have... done one years supply, got an 18 month temp job (did some induction) and gone back on supply but now as TA/cover sup.

12. Any updates! I am on long term supply again!!

13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So Iam I! Possibly long-term till end of year for colleague at school where I do regular supply. It's closing in July though due to re-organisation- so no possibility for next year & I will have to start making new contacts.
    Lost track of how many times I've done this. Over the years I've usually ended up doing long-term cover but staff always felt I'd done a reasonable job, when coming in & that they could return with a phased in return! Then of course one has lost track of other school contact, staff moved on etc & one has to start all over again getting oneself known as reliable.

14. I, too, am in the same boat. I qualified in 2003, and left a permenant post to go abroad and teach in a Britsh school for 4 years. I cannot secure a permenant job now, and have been doing maternity covers and long term sick leaves for the past 3 years. I also feel like the experiences I have counts for nothing anymore and I always loose out to NQTs or those who only have a years experience. Sometimes the school can't even give any feedback, just say that the chosen candidate was 'stonger'. Its all very disheartening, but with no money around anymore, I don't think schools have any choice but to employ the cheapest option. I am seriously considering a job outside of teaching now. Such a shame, as I love teaching and have enjoyed all the temp jobs I have done. Lets hope there are some schools out there that do value experience and want teachers who have not just left uni. Good luck everyone!!!

15. I am in the same boat with you Teacher2004. But I found something very useful and flexible which is helping me make some extra money while still looking for that teaching job. I can show you what I found if you wish. Just email me on edithjobmail@yahoo.co.uk

16. It is awful! Just been for another interview at a place where I have worked all year. They said the standard of applicants
    was just too high. What career would you consider outside of teaching?

Steve

17. How you getting on now enihsnus?