1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long does your toddler sleep for?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by goonergirl2009, Jun 17, 2012.

1. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

Morning ladies! My daughter is twenty months old and has recently changed from sleeping 7-6 to 7-5 and she has a two hour nap in the day.
    I was just wondering how much sleep other toddlers are getting?
    Thanks!

2. Morning. My daughter is 19 months and sleeps from 7-5 too (yesterday 4.55 to be precise which felt so much worse somehow!). It is tough going.
    Nap wise it varies massively. If she is with me (2 wk days and wk end) then normally a 30 min nap about 9.00 then a 1hr and a half around 12. At childminders (1 day a week) she nearly always has a 3hr nap!!!!, with my mum a 45 min nap and motherinlaw a 15 min 1!! The wierd thing is the length of the naps in the day have no effect on the length of her night time routine. She sleeps 7-5 every night ive or take half hr either way. She never (unless unwell) wakes in the night and always wakes up happy. Would love her to sleep later in the morning but even if we keep her up she is awake early !

3. my son is 18 months and does 12 hours over night (sometimes 13) and has one nap during the day of between 20 and 90 minutes depending on how active he's been during the morning or on if he has a cold.

4. I would have been lucky if my son had slept until 6 at that age...with or without a nap. The only consistent thing about their routines is that they consistently change. If your toddler is happy and healthy and fits in well enough for your own routine, then don't worry. My son is now nearly 3 1/2 and has literally only just started sleeping past 6.30-7ish. Some are just early risers! Enjoy the day time nap while you still have it too, I still miss the peace and quiet of that nap. Enjoy.

5. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My son was 3 yesterday and doesn't nap at all, unless he's ill (which he is at the moment). He dropped a daytime nap just after he turned 2. Usually he sleeps from 7-7, sometimes waking up, and when it's been warmer he's woken up earlier, between 5:30 and 7.
    My daughter is 13 months and usually has just 1 sleep of an hour in the day, and occasionally has 2 sleeps of an hour or so. At night she's usually in bed by 7 and sleeps 12 hours like her brother, but sometimes wakes too. They share a room, so often one wakes the other.

6. mine does 8-5 (or 4.30 sometimes!) and 1 hr nap max. he's 18 months.

7. My LO is just coming up to 18 months and she sleeps 7-6.30/7am (again like someone else said, this can sometimes vary to wake up at 8am or the other way at 5.30am). She has one nap that is roughly 2-2.5hrs. I dread the day she drops this nap as I look forward to being able to sit down!

8. My daughter is 18 months and naps 12.30 - 2.30 most days. Nights are 6.30 - 6.30. I love her!

9. My dd is 2 yrs 3 months and is trying to drop her nap at the minute. When she's at home she doesn't have a nap at all, but at childminders (all weekdays as I work full time) she has a lunchtime nap of up to an hour. If she's had a nap she goes 8(ish)pm - 6(ish) am, if she hasn't had a nap then it's more like 7pm - 6am. Luckily when she wakes up she just brings herself into our room and climbs into bed for a cuddle (and some booby) so we can all stay in bed a bit longer.

10. The only consistent thing about their routines is that they consistently
    change. If your toddler is happy and healthy and fits in well enough
    for your own routine, then don't worry.[​IMG]

11. handrail

handrail New commenter

My little boy has only recently started to sleep through the night, he's 21 months old today. 7pm -5am with no wake ups would be a very good night in our house! He has been going to bed 8-8.30 ish and waking between 5 and 6am. He sometimes still wakes and will come into our bed for a bit or sometimes we just give him his dummy and he goes back off. He has a 2hour nap usually around midday. An awful sleeper from day one but I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel :eek:)

12. Currently 7.15 to 6.15, occasionally earlier or later. Somewhere between 45 minutes and 2 hours for a nap once a day, but no nap at all today!

13. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

Thank you all for your replies! It was not a complaint- I know we are very lucky that my daughter is such a good sleeper- I was just interested! We have twiddled with her bedtime/ routine a bit but she still wakes up full of beans at 5 am so we will just ride it out!

14. This makes me feel much better about my LO! Same as you Gooner, 7pm - 5.30am normally. I'm not coping with such early starts! Daytime, usually about 1 and a half hours at nursery and at home she doesn't nap in her cot, so tends to sleep on the way to or from places so maybe two lots of 45 mins at 10 ish and 3ish.

15. My little man is 19 months old and sleeps 11 hours. 7-6, 7.30-6.30 and my favourite 8-7 - depends how he has napped in the day as this varies hugely. Anything from 1 3 hour nap(very rarely) to no naps