1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long does your local takeaway take to deliver?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Eva_Smith, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Desperately trying to occupy myself whilst waiting for my local Chinese to delivery our dirty takeaway for tonight. I'm completely starving and it's been 1 hour 10 mins since I rang and ordered. This seems excessive. I'm moaning mainly because I suggested that it would be quicker for my boyfriend to go down in the car and collect it, but he could be bothered (I can't because my car is poorly and I'm not insured on his).
    Even more annoyingly, my neighbours seem to be teasing me by getting in and out of their cars, causing me to get excited and rush to the window to see if it's the delivery man!
    Sooooo hungry! I'm giving it another 5 minutes then having a whinge!

2. Eva_Smith

Desperately trying to occupy myself whilst waiting for my local Chinese to delivery our dirty takeaway for tonight. I'm completely starving and it's been 1 hour 10 mins since I rang and ordered. This seems excessive. I'm moaning mainly because I suggested that it would be quicker for my boyfriend to go down in the car and collect it, but he could be bothered (I can't because my car is poorly and I'm not insured on his).
    Even more annoyingly, my neighbours seem to be teasing me by getting in and out of their cars, causing me to get excited and rush to the window to see if it's the delivery man!
    Sooooo hungry! I'm giving it another 5 minutes then having a whinge!

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

This early it's usually really quick. 20-30 mins.
    I would usually expect more like 40 mins and I would always start complaining if an hour had gone by, unless they had made that clear when I ordered.

4. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I can't remember ever waiting that long. I would expect 30/40 minutes at the most.

5. Are you eating now??

6. That's an awfully long time to wait - ours usually takes about half an hour on a 'busy' night!

If you're in Wales/England, maybe today's rugby match has got something to do with them being so busy? I've just driven past a take-away and it was packed!

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

They don't deliver!!!

8. Ordered a pizza on Friday for the offspring and it took 10 mins. Over half an hour is excessive in any scenario.

9. Eva_Smith

Replied once but internet crashed. Finally arrive 1hr 20mins after ordering, luke-warm and a bit soggy. Appears it was sitting the in car whilst a few others were delivered on the same run.
    We were starving by that point so demolished it anyway.

10. I have had to wait for almost 2 hours before but that was extreme and it wasn't a local takeaway-it was one in my university town! The local ones all deliver within half an hour.

11. Usually it's between 20 and 40 minutes, depends on the day/time you call.
    I did once wait 3.5hrs for a chinese - and phoned about it 4 times. It arrived just as my taxi to go out did. They still expected me to pay for it. They were told in no uncertain terms that wouldn't be happening and to shove the take away somewhere the sun didn't shine. Haven't used them again since, and despite the fact they were really good (taste wise) wouldn't ever again.

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Surely you'd expect it to take 20 mins for them to cook it, at least. Then pack it up, bring it to you ... how can that be under half an hour?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why is it dirty? And if it is why did you order it?

14. Eva_Smith

Amongst people I know, and quite commonly in my area, the term "having a dirty takeaway" means that one is going to totally over indulge in unhealthy food with minimal nutritional value. The food itself is actually pretty delicious when delivered hot.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Thanks for explaining. I have never heard the expression before.

16. I know what you mean Eva....nothing beats a dirty kebab or chinese!

17. Eva_Smith

No on the kebab, but the chinese definitely! Ours was thoroughly demolished tonight. No doubt I'll regret it tomorrow when I have to work it off in the gym.

18. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I had a lovely non-dirty takeaway last night (never heard the term before) . Dry tandoori king prawns (huge), chapatis and salad. Collected by OH while I had a cold beer. I'm sure it was as healthy as it was delicious.