1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long does one need to wait after applying - Singapore

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by musicismyreligion, Nov 8, 2018.

1. musicismyreligion

musicismyreligion New commenter

Hi everyone. I applied three weeks ago to a position in Singapore and the acknowledgement email said they would contact whether shortlisted or not. The closing date was close to three weeks ago and I'm still yet to hear anything. Is this normal? I'm assuming I'm on the rejected list and the emails haven't come out yet, but just wondered what the experiences have been of other people. Enjoy the evening :)

2. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

More than likely not been shortlisted and you will never received an email to say that, it's pretty much the norm for International schools, which I don't understand as it would take a member of the admin 5 minutes to send out a standard rejection email.

3. Bythesea123

Bythesea123 New commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    I have applied to two in Singapore, although closing dates weren't quite so long ago. For one I've not heard (closing date was the 30th), and one I had an initial request to complete a one way video interview, which I did on Oct 27th but haven't heard anything more.
    I wonder if these mean rejection or if I should wait a little longer before giving up!

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Easy enough if there are 20 or 30 applicants. When there are 200+ for a position?

We send out a standard email thanking all applicants for their...er...application and get in touch with those shortlisted. Those that didn't make it, well, didn't make it and don't hear from us again.

Those shortlisted and interviewed are, naturally, contacted and given feedback if they are interested.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  5. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

5/10 minute job for anyone with half decent IT skills.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  6. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

I had two invites for Singaporean interviews before the closing dates, but had already accepted another job by then. I think it varies from department to department as some colleagues of mine interviewed at the same schools this weekend, and a couple have interviews in the next week or so.

7. megan_underhill31

megan_underhill31 New commenter

Do you mind if I ask if either of your invitations or your colleagues interviews were at the really big established school with two campuses in SG (6 letters), or at the school that has a sister in KL and is moving campuses in January?

8. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

One was a 'rent-a-school' and the other was best known by its initials.

9. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

I don't understand why schools don't do this either. Even just a simple "thank you for your application, we will contact you if we would like to interview you, if you don't hear from us in X weeks then you have been unsuccessful on this occasion". 5 mins to write, another 5 mins for IT to set up a bulk or automatic response. And it's not just the two-bob dodgy schools who do this - I can think of two locally who consider themselves as being Tier 1 which also do this.

Teachallover likes this.
  10. february31st

february31st Established commenter

It is simple to set up an ”out of office” message on the recruitment email address. A simple thankyou for the appliction is proof we got your email and a message saying if no response then your application was unsuccessful.

11. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se New commenter

Yes, I agree. It would take two minutes to set up and be good for the year.