1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long does it take you to do an application form?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by poppyjones85, Feb 6, 2011.

1. I was wondering on average how long does it take some people to do an application form. It takes me ages, when I say ages I mean days. I have to make sure that each sentence is perfect and flows in the right way.
    So being really nosey [​IMG] what has been your longest time for an application, I would have to say 2 weeks with research and everything else........... mind you its not non stop I have tea breaks in between and go to work so that would be 2 weeks of evenings.....

Poppy Jones

2. I was wondering on average how long does it take some people to do an application form. It takes me ages, when I say ages I mean days. I have to make sure that each sentence is perfect and flows in the right way.
    So being really nosey [​IMG] what has been your longest time for an application, I would have to say 2 weeks with research and everything else........... mind you its not non stop I have tea breaks in between and go to work so that would be 2 weeks of evenings.....

Poppy Jones

3. mr_a_non

mr_a_non New commenter

By the time I've filled in an application form, gone through the application pack with a highlighter, made notes, checked the website, written the letter, proof-read everything and re-written the letter, I suspect it adds up to about 6 hours' work. I would say that's about right for the last couple of jobs in middle-management that I've applied for.
    When I was a PGCE student, and not fussy about where I lived the following year, I sent off about 8 applications in 3 weeks. They obviously weren't taking as long when I was in the swing of things, and nor were they scrappy applications: 4 interviews, one rejection and I pulled out of the last three because I'd taken a job.

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Yes, it takes hours! I have a very long job history and so it's particularly odious.

All right, with the safer recruitment paranoia schools won't accept CVs. However, it wouldn't kill them to ask for a complete employment history (specifying what they wanted to know) on a separate sheet. This is basic consideration - something these hypocrites regularly lecture their students on.

I'm so annoyed with this haughtiness and lack of consideration that I opened a post called "Application forms that annoy the candidate"

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree at least a week to research & then 2+ hours to actually fill in the application form, having got everything ready!

6. I have it down quite quickly now. Once one application form is filled in most ask for pretty much the same info so I cut and paste. You just need to adjust some information but I find it is really quick.
    Application letters are different though, I have applied for quite a few jobs over the last 18 months and not used the same letter twice. However, I do refer back to old letters and use paragraphs or sentences for each new application.
    I reckon I can now do an application in about 3-4 hours, still an age though!

7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Now imagine that you put in one application per day, which is quite possible even if you are being very picky about the schools that you are interested in. This would mean you spent 21-28 hours a week doing applications. Isn't it absolutely horrific to think of so much time being wasted? But this, and worse, is the reality for many people who's applications may well end up in the bin for sometimes the most trivial or spiteful of reasons.

And now for a BIG THANK YOU. Just occasionally one comes across a school that does display outstanding consideration. I had one such school that said they would use my CV and website to consider my application initially. Then, if I was short listed, I would have to fill in their application form. Not only that, but when I wasn't sucessful they sent me a letter by post, despite the fact that I live in Berlin.

8. I get an App done in about 1-2 hrs depending on it's format. PDF's are a bit of a pain but I have managed to sort those out so I can still cut and paste. Generally the information is the same. My letter is pretty much the same as my skills and knowledge are the same. I just change a paragraph or two.

Once managed 3 apps in a day, got one interview but no job.

It does really anoy me that after spending a lot of time filling in the forms, writting letters etc that schools don't have the common decency to contact you to let you know that you've not been shortlisted. All it takes is an email.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But if you are a small primary school with just a single member of office staff and a sometimes teaching headteacher...sending off 100+ emails to unsuccessful candidates IS actually a very big job.

Even in a larger primary with 2-3 members of office staff, sending off 100+ emails is a time consuming task to do on top of normal work.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oh and I meant to say it generally takes me 6-10 hours...depending on how much I want the job.