1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long does it take to write a medium term plan?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by cat2611, Dec 17, 2013.

1. cat2611

cat2611 Occasional commenter

Hi,

I have spent all day today writing my medium term plan for next half term and I still haven't finished it. I am wondering if I am a slow planner or if it takes other people more than a day to do a medium term plan? I was off work sick all of this half term but I am going back next half term. Do you think that it took me a long time because I need to get used to things again? Or maybe how long a medium term plan takes depends on how detailed it is? I think I end up doing my weekly plans at the same time as my medium term plan because I don't like to write something on the medium term plan if I'm not certain how it will work on a short term basis. Do you think it is taking me longer to plan because I am planning new topics that I haven't taught before?

I have got lots of ideas for what I'll do for adventure stories but at the end of the half term I will be teaching information texts and all I know is that they will be about the Tudors. I haven't typed up what I will do for adventure stories yet. I will be using the year 3 maths units but I haven't planned what the children will do each day or each week in maths. I have got some science experiment ideas for characteristics of materials but I haven't planned it, I think we are going to make Tudor purses and make bread but I haven't planned that and I need to make a prototype Tudor purse, I haven't planned the Tudor history lessons, I won't be planning dance or music because they will be taught by the HLTA who will cover my PPA. I have planned Christian values for RE, I have planned gymnastics for PE, I have planned staying safe online for ICT and I have planned Spanish.

I think perhaps my medium term plan is taking me too long because I am actually doing short term plans. What do you think? How long does it take you to do a medium term plan?

Please help. I feel sad because I thought I could get it all done today but I haven't finished it.

Thanks in advance

Cat