1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long does it take to find out if you’ve been shortlisted?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lauramariex, Apr 25, 2018.

1. lauramariex

lauramariex New commenter

I’m a qualified teacher but have applied for a pastoral role in a primary school.
    I visited the school on Thursday 19th April and emailed my application afterwards, which I received confirmation for.

The application deadline was Friday 20th and the advertisement stated shortlisting would take place on Monday 23rd. It’s now Wednesday 25th and I still haven’t heard anything. The interviews are next Wednesday 2nd May so I’m starting to doubt whether I have been shortlisted.

How long does it usually take to find out if you have been shortlisted? Do you think I would have already been notified if I had an interview or should I wait a bit longer?

Thank you in advance.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Its always a difficult period waiting to hear the outcome- it does depend upon how efficient the administration of the recruitment process is. Generally they would look to give a week's notice but I am aware of many candidates receiving a lot less than that - sometimes even the day before!

3. Guitargirl28

Guitargirl28 New commenter

Ring - ask Have you informed the shortlisted candidates yet? If they say yes ask if it is possible to get some feedback on your application.

I have been informed of an interview the day before

4. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

In my experience quite a few places state that if someone hasn’t heard anything two weeks after the closing date they should assume they have been unsuccessful. Whilst I think this is a ‘cop out’ and a lack of basic manners, it does give a guideline of sorts.