1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long does it take to find out if you've been shortlisted?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nazreal, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Hello!

So I applied for this great teaching position last week - the deadline was Monday 9am...and I've still not heard anything email-wise or through the post....shall I assume I've not been shortlisted?

If so I will be totally gutted as I truly believe I would be excellent for the job :( Don't want to be too negative but I think it's natural...

Anyway, any insights on the application process will be lovely! For extra info, it's an April or September start but I available April (I intimated as much in my PS

Thanks!

2. Hello!

So I applied for this great teaching position last week - the deadline was Monday 9am...and I've still not heard anything email-wise or through the post....shall I assume I've not been shortlisted?

If so I will be totally gutted as I truly believe I would be excellent for the job :( Don't want to be too negative but I think it's natural...

Anyway, any insights on the application process will be lovely! For extra info, it's an April or September start but I available April (I intimated as much in my PS

Thanks!

3. inarnia

inarnia New commenter

I've been told a week after the closing date before. I was on the verge of ringing up and asking where my application was at and was glad I didn't! Have another look at the application materials - sometimes they say when the interview date will be or give a period after which you should assume you have not been shortlisted. But do ring and check eventually rather than assume as there was a story on this forum recently of somebody who was shortlisted but never received the letter/email and missed the interview which would be even more gutting...

4. Hi,

Thanks for responding. Well the advert's been taken down the TES as it expired already but I distinctly remember there being no set date or approximate date for interviews so I'm just not sure.....

I'm not at all presumptuous that I have been shortlisted so if I rang it would be more enquiring....at least a call would put my mind at rest and then I could move on to other applicaitons. Yes, it would be gutting to be shortlisted but just not know about it....

5. I once got an invite for interview three days after they said the interviews would be in the advert (the interviews were actually 2 weeks later). I have also had interviews before the closing date.

So it's still possible you could get shortlisted. Did you ask for confirmation that your application was received?

6. Do you mean Monday 9am as in today? Most schools let you know within a few days, so I would imagine you'd hear by around Thursday. However, it does depend on the school. I once heard from a school about 3/4 weeks after the closing date, and the jobs I've recently applied for have said 'if you don't hear within three weeks' so...

Good luck.

7. Hello,

Well the deadline was last Monday which makes it a week so far...i applied through TES online and got a confirmation email that the school had received it so everything should be in order...

Hum....I'll call anyway, I think, for peace of mind. If they're still shortlisting at least it means I've got a chance.

8. Oh, I suppose unusual to wait so long, but not totally unheard of. Good luck with the job hunting either way. I'm currently looking too.

9. Mmmm so I called the school yesterday 3 times and no answer from the office manager and then today - again, I go straight to answer phone with the office manager! I also tried to get in touch with the head of the faculty but she's always unavailable.....

I'm starting to think getting any answers from the school is becoming nigh impossible!! Very odd given its outstanding status...maybe I'm just unlucky?

Any thoughts? Should I email in? Although I emailed in my application (only to realise mistakenly that I was supposed to apply online) and the school never gave me confirmation of receiving my email - only the online system gave me confirmation....