1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long does it take to find out if you have been deferred from Jury service?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by catfish, Jul 7, 2011.

1. catfish

catfish New commenter

Thanks for your help.
    The day I decided to ring to find out I recieved the letter and thankfully I don't need to cancel my holiday as it has been deferred . My new date is Feburary which is a good time of year as far as exams and coursework is concerned.
    Just need to tell my head now.
    Thanks
    Catfish

2. Glad you got things sorted catfish.
    I have a (strange?) question relating to jury service, but I don't know if anyone will be able to answer it...
    A number of years ago, I was called for jury service. I was living away from home at the time, so sent a letter stating that, and asked to be excused. Everything was fine, no problems with excusing me.
    What I'm wondering, is will I/can I ever be called again? A conversation about jury service a few months ago revealed that nobody around here knows anyone who has ever been called twice!

3. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Yes, I'm sure you can be called for jury service more than once and certainly if you have been unable to attend on the first occasion.
    If you are called for jury service, I have heard, anecdotally, that in some trials objections to your selection can be raised by the defence if you are dressed too smartly.
    It's also possible that you will be rejected if the defence finds out you're that bastion of authority - a teacher - so it is perhaps best to leave the pile of jotters at home, even if there's time to get some marking done. [​IMG]