1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long does a paracetamol normally take to work?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by marsinaries, Sep 25, 2007.

1. I normally try to avoid taking them but took one half an hour ago...no effect yet...

2. I normally try to avoid taking them but took one half an hour ago...no effect yet...

3. I think anything between 20-45 mins, but I find that one paracetamol never touches anything! I always take two, and usually something stronger, with aspirin or ibuprofen in it.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It may be the wrong type of painkiller - if there is no effect in the next half hour try a brufen based painkiller: it is safe to use both and the brufen may work where paracetamol has failed.

5. Thanks, nuffsaid... well this was an anadin extra which is a combination of paracetamol, aspirin and caffeine! I took it for period pain. As i very rarely take analgesics thought i would i would just try one first to see what happens...it does seem to be working a bit now...

6. Thanks seren

7. janemk

janemk New commenter

1 Anadin Extra would not even touch my period pains. I'd go for 2 Ibuprofen myself.

8. Dont mix aspirin and ibuprofen. You must wait the minimum 4 hrs.

9. I know it will be the last thing you feel like doing, but getting out and going for a walk (if you have the time) will help ease the pain and when you get back get yourself a nice big cuppa and a bar of chocolate.

10. Thanks will try that.

11. also have a nice warm bath with some radox bathfoam stuff, that helps me.

12. I find that if I take two paracetamol and try to carry on doing things, as normal, they hardly work.

However, try sitting down and relaxing with a book or something, or lie down and shut your eyes, and this seems to allow them to work to their full effect.

Try using tiger balm instead, though. Brilliant stuff!