1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long do you leave it......

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by stumigoo, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Before you call a girl back? More importantly how long would you leave it after a closing date to assume you havent been shortlisted? I sent an application in a couple of weeks ago, but the closing date was only yesterday, and they did say they would only contact shortlisted candidates, which although frustrating is understandable. I was assuming maybe if I hadn't heard in 7-10 days after the closing date then I am out of luck but was wondering what other people's experiences have been?

2. 576

576 Occasional commenter

In my current post it took them 6 months!
    So who knows.
    I like the adverts that let you know when interviews are so that you do know when you're not gonna hear!

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

To quote grandpa in The Princess Bride, "who said life is fair?".

Karvol is right. If I had a cent for everyone that's lost a job due to discrimination I'd be a very rich man.

When you see a really long list of requirements in a job spec, have you ever thought "nobody will have them all". Exactly right! They can't say no blacks, Irish or women, but they can point to one of their requirements and say that it was an important one that somebody was missing.

Sometimes this is why recruitment agencies are used. There's nothing on paper, but it's understood that certain categories of candidates will never make it to the shortlist. I'm not making this up; an agent I used to work through (when I worked in I.T.) told me about the illegal verbal requirements he was given.

For my own part, I'm certain being 53 has cost me a lot of jobs.

4. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

It really is not fair, you're right. I submitted two applications since Sept and neither replied. I know I had everything that they were looking for. I guess it could have been anything that they could have disliked: my photo, my 'married' status, '1 depedent child. Only if they would provide some form of feedback if it has been requested.

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Is that the big school, initials BP?

6. Yep, big one with those initials

7. Yes, fp, I was having a blonde moment. Why wouldn't you be caught dead there? Would you pm me, please?