1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long do you keep children on the carpet?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by greenpaddy, Apr 21, 2012.

1. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

I would like to know how long you keep children on the carpet. I have been told 20 mins is the max and they should not be there any longer. Would love to hear what others do.

2. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

I would like to know how long you keep children on the carpet. I have been told 20 mins is the max and they should not be there any longer. Would love to hear what others do.

3. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

I teach Years 1 and 2 and I keep mine on the carpet for absolute maximum of 10 minutes at the start of every lesson - the less talk I do, the better!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Depends on the lesson and what they are doing on the carpet. Usually I keep them around 10-15 mins, but sometimes it is 5 and sometimes (please don't have a fit) it is the whole lesson.

Children need to be active and engaged, learning and making progress...where they do this is irrelevant.

5. Children's age + 2 minutes was the advice that I've stuck with... so if they're 9, you can get away with about 11 mins...

In year 1 you'd be looking at about 7 minutes etc.
    Just useful as a guideline I think :)

6. .....until they start fidgeting.
    There's no fixed time limit. If you sure they are all 'with you' I dont see any reason why they cant stay sitting for more than 10 minutes - however, if I do keep them longer, I would do a couple of minutes of brain gym (or exercises ) to refocus them.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

the actual research says plus or minus 2 minutes so if you have three or four year olds it isn't really worth getting them to sit down [​IMG] but in reality children can focus for much longer period if they are fully engaged, so how long depends on the what more than the age of the children.

8. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

They were focused, engaged and produced great writing. However because it was judged I had kept them on the carpet too long and did not allow them 'much freedom' got graded satisfactory teaching and good learning.

9. How long do I keep them on the carpet? Often too long, in all honesty. I think this is something a lot of teachers struggle with. It's something I'm working on and I try to break up the whole class part with some activities that require them to get moving somehow. The difficult part of this is that sometimes they seem fine staying there the whole hour and maybe sometimes it's okay but I think to get the best out of them it's best to break it up a bit.

10. Where/ what is this research please? :) i need to make reference to it in an assignment!