1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long do you hope?!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rlh1285, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Hello fellow job seekers!

I was just wondering how long you wait to assume you've been unsuccessful after an application? For the interviews I've had I've been called on the day applications closed. When do you forget about the hard work you've put in to an application?!

2. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Hi rlh1285,
    It really depends on the school, and maybe it depends on if there's been a holiday after you submitted. My partner assumed he hadn't got an interview at one school but an invite came at the end of the Easter holiday about 3 weeks after applying! Others can be really quick - I applied 9pm day before closing date and was invited to interview the next morning at 10am! That was the week before the May half term, and they wanted to get interviews done before the time for handing in notice.
    I would say within a week is probably normal - for three of my interview invites, this is what happened. And you should keep applying even if you have an interview set up - if you don't get it, you need to be on top of applications so you can set up more interviews.
    Hope this helps!
    LK

3. cshanks

cshanks New commenter

I have always been informed by letter so usual its within a week but I have had a couple that I had given up on and had letters a good few weeks later.

4. I think I am curious as so many of the schools don't even seem to be acknowledging applications! I read on here Theo say it feels like you've put in all the hard work and then might as well have thrown it in the river! That is how it feels for me!

R

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I know what you mean. It doesn't take much to send an email to say thanks but no thanks... I give up hope after about 2 weeks and move my application into the 'no interview' folder after a month. (I did this to see if my applications differed much in terms of quality between those where I got an interview and those where I didn't, but they don't)