1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long do you give a book?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lanokia, Dec 9, 2017.

1. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Sadly, I couldn't just say that. I had to read it. All of it. Every single page.... :-( And believe me, the cover was the best thing about it...

2. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I usually give it three or four chapters.

3. taisiya_wolker

taisiya_wolker New commenter

If you are giving albon, you should have gone to a vet. If you are unsure of how long to medicate, you shouldn't be home medicating to begin with.

I recommend you purchase Understanding Reptile Parasites, especially if you are going to be home medicating. You need to make sure you give the proper dosage. The book gives you information on it, but you shouldn't be treating unless you know that is what is wrong. 10 days is a long time to be giving Albon, it's usually used for 3-5 days, then in some cases every other day after that.

4. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Nope. You've lost me.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I got 200 pages into David Brin's Existence...

It was awful... couldn't face 469 more pages.

I had no idea who anyone was, what their characters were or what kind of story he was trying to tell. Turned out part of the way in an alien artefact was recovered from Earth orbit... that passed me by completely. So poorly structured. I won't be reading another Brin. I remember trying 'Earth' and finding it hard to digest.

Thank god I got it cheap, otherwise I'd feel like I'd wasted my money.

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I enjoy Brin's interviews and panel appearances but I can't recall reading anything by him.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I enjoyed his Uplift novels and The Postman is a decent post-apocalypse novel [and an underrated movie IMO] but his recent efforts have left me very unimpressed.

Going to try Cyptonomicon by Neal Stephenson next...

8. patternandsurface

patternandsurface Occasional commenter

@Ianokia: I couldn't really get into reading Stephen King's The Dark Tower, even though I think of his horror fiction as the best thing since bread. I'll come back to it later hopefully.

I usually give a book a few chapters, till it gets to the part that should really be interesting just in case it has a slow start.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've since read books 5 and 6 and enjoyed them immensely. Just the jarring nature of the narrative for book 4 that I found unreadable.

But it was a difficult series to get into.

10. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Struggling with Book 3 of His Dark Materials, but am nearly half way through so will probably stay with it.

11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I gave up on Kate Atkinson's ' Life after Life ' a few pages in ..... but returned to it recently and now I am reluctant to finish it

sparkleghirl likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I love that feeling... that sense of dread that soon you'll have to leave that world and those people...

A sign of a great book.

13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

How very true @lanokia .... I have a list of books destined for my beach trip next month and happy to say just sourced one of them in a local charity shop( A God in Ruins ) .... the staff must think I am mad as I chunter to myself how I can’t conceive how some of their customers can part with some of the books on their shelves.....I do donate a fair number myself but I have criteria - ha !

lanokia likes this.
  14. fadeyushka_1967

fadeyushka_1967 New commenter

I haven't read this book but generally give a book a few hours to get into. Beyond that I stop and might return for a second stint. Life's too short.

install likes this.
  15. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I seem to have developed a habit of giving up on books which are ‘ lauded ‘( in a very small sense of the word ) by the press .... most recently one called ‘ Turn a Blind Eye by Vicki Newham ? and another by Roz Watkins with the word ‘Devil’ in the title ? Just not enough quality for me though I suspect they are meant to be engaging / non demanding in the first instance ? I know I am in trouble when I start to scan the page and say ‘blah blah ‘ under my breath . Struggling with ‘Transcription’ by Kate Atkinson too ...