1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long do i have?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Oliviaa91, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Oliviaa91

Oliviaa91 New commenter

Okay so my situation is a little complicated so i'll try and make it as short as possible!

I had a baby in my final year of university, graduated, and haven't taught or done any supply work since graduating in 2014.

My life got a bit complicated when social workers falsely accused me and my partner of hurting our baby and while this has been under-way i haven't been allowed to teach anyway.

I haven't even started an induction, and this messy situation isn't due to be cleared until November this year.

How long do i have to complete my NQT year?

When my baby comes home to me, obviously i will want nothing but to spend all my time with him, but when he starts nursery i'd like to possibly get back into things, is this a possibility?

Thanks in advance!

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

There is no time limit for completing induction. Don't worry!

Having gained QTS, you are allowed to do supply teaching for up to five years without completing induction. After this - so, for you, 2019 - you would no longer be able to do short-term supply teaching until you had not completed induction (a long-term supply post would count towards induction). I mention this because it does narrow your options slightly for finding work. But that's a fair way into the future anyway.