1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long can you go without...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dunteachin, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

...SHOPPING!
    I have to share it with you: I haven't set foot inside a supermarket since December 23rd. Until today! And I only spent £6.49! No, I don't have a fridge and freezer crammed with stuff - in fact, my fridge is empty apart from some Xmas cheeses and a bit of veg. Bread and milk is all I've bought in the last week. I'm amazed, myself! I dragged out fishfingers from the freezer for last night's tea and am defrosting a homemade chilli for tea tonight. There's a joint of beef in there for tomorrow and bits and pieces frozen from Xmas. I can't tell you what pleasure this gives me. I intend to carry forward such frugality into 2016. Such scenes of food grabbing in the supermarket! Why? The shops are open tomorrow and every day after that.
    Is there a smug face icon?:rolleyes:

2. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

A lot of them aren't open tomorrow.

[​IMG]

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Sainsbury's is open tomorrow. Phew!

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I am a very bad shopping person and am trying hard not to spend loads whenever I go out. I did well the other day - £93 on a food shop for the next couple of weeks with lots of healthy food and not a single piece of clothing or make up in my trolley! It's one of my new year's resolutions.

Dunteachin likes this.
  5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Yep. I was in Sainsbury's with the madding crowd and double checked: they are open tomorrow.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I ventured into Asda this morning as I needed fresh veg for Christmas Day Take 2 tomorrow and also to shop for mother-in-law. The car park was full and queues were longer than normal. The store is open tomorrow.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

So are Tesco's but it makes you wonder why ?

8. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

Because its a holiday and some people want to spend their holiday going to the supermarket.

Its strange so many are open tomorrow though. All the local ones are closed.

9. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

I wonder if Waitrose is. It's almost a pleasant experience to shop there. The lighting is softer and there is an absence of hideous orange or green or red advertising.

Yoda- likes this.
  10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The title hooked me in, thereafter a disappointment:(

Dunteachin and ninenotes like this.
  11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I have enough store cupboard stuff to last a longish siege but I tend to go to the shops every couple of days to pick up fresh fruit and veg.

12. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Our local Waitrose and John Lewis shops are closed tomorrow, both were very quiet first thing this morning.
    I did a small shop of just milk, bread and fresh vegetables and probably won't need to go again for almost a week.

13. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

We've been living off the freezer since Tuesday am, except for getting some milk (the toddler drinks it by the litre) and bread. I had to go pick up a prescription so did venture into Tesco. I bought a meal deal for tonight and a discounted roast for tomorrow. We are lucky in that we live near a corner shop so can go in for emergencies and they have a decent wine selection!

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

What were you hoping for? :)

Went to Tesco this aft, full of mentalists, I include myself in that as I was there too. The frenzy, the frenzy, the frenzy. Our local Tesco is usually a joy to shop in. Not today. Turns out they are open tomorrow and if I'd known that, I wouldn't have bothered going today.

15. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

A wee bit of frenzy at our local Tesco as well but I knew what I wanted and was done in 10 minutes.....

16. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

I popped into the local supermarket this afternoon (first time in a week) as I realised I was running low on loo paper. In spite of the fact that all shops here are closed tomorrow there was no panic buying and no queues.

I won't need to go again for at least another week. The freezers are full and I can get fruit and veg at the market

17. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

we had a delivery on tuesday after being away for nearly a week. popped out yesterday for the things we forgot and a newspaper. no more till delivery on sunday.

18. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I thought I would quickly pop into Tesco this afternoon. We have guests coming on Saturday and I want to do most of the preparations tomorrow. So much for quick - it took several minutes to find a parking space.

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It's more civilised, do you not think? My mum does a similar thing: she has a handful of wee agricultural producers, all close by, where she can go and buy all sorts of fresh produce, without having to set foot in Auchan or Intermarché.

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

That would be telling.:);)

kibosh likes this.