1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long can we self certify for?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Fiona L, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Just that really! I've been off since thursday so including the weekend, this is my 5th day. I'm feeling really poorly and no sign of getting better yet so I'll probably have to go to the doctor. I thought it was 5 days we could self certify but some people have said it's 7 days. Does anyone know? Thanks.

2. Hiya,

At my school it is three days (working days!!) and then a doc's cert is required, but I know that usually it is 5 working days (pr seven days including the weekends. I found this is my school absence policy. Would it be worth phoning the school and asking?

Hope that helps and get better soon.

R

3. Thanks for that. I suppose I've been off now for 5 days but two of them were working days so techically that's just 3 working days. I could phone the school although I'm worried about speaking to someone as I think they're probably ****** off with me for being off (it's a new job). I've got a doctor appointment first thing tomorrow so I'll see what happens then and take it from there.

4. qwe

qwe

rlh1285's school is in breach of employment law.
    You can self-certify for a period of 7 calendar days.
    Employees should stand firm against abuse of this sort for the future benefit of their colleagues and themselves, and to avoid abuse of GP appointments. (I trust that thoses who give in do not also moan about the difficulty some experience obtaining the latter!). Statutory sickness certification is an NHS role. Any sick note given before 7 days is a non-statutory private note, and a charge may be levied (indeed it should be, both as a disinsentive to inappropriate requests and to help fund the NHS against this diversion of resource).

5. As others have said, it is 7 consecutive days (including the weekend)

6. Thanks for that, I've got my appointment tomorrow which will be day 6. Do you think I should still go or make it for wednesday which will be the 7th day? Sorry to be so indecisive, my brain is like cotton wool! I guess I'll go tomorow and see what the doctor says..

7. Go tomorrow. I was given mine on day 5 because my day 7 fell on a Sunday so wouldn't have been able to get an appointment!

8. Thanks PFF, will do!