1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how long can i freeze

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by sauce, Mar 2, 2011.

1. I have a buffet for about 50 people at the end of May and want as much of the food as possible to be homemade. This means a lot of it will need to be made in advance and put in the freezer- sausage rolls, quiches, pizza bases, cupcakes etc. Can I start now? Will these things keep in the freezer for almost 3 months or should i leave it till a bit later? How long do you think these things will safely keep in the freezer for?

2. I have a buffet for about 50 people at the end of May and want as much of the food as possible to be homemade. This means a lot of it will need to be made in advance and put in the freezer- sausage rolls, quiches, pizza bases, cupcakes etc. Can I start now? Will these things keep in the freezer for almost 3 months or should i leave it till a bit later? How long do you think these things will safely keep in the freezer for?

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Depends on your freezer. A big, chest type freezer should keep them in good nick until then. Most things will keep for up to 9 months or a year. The only thing that really spoils is fish, which can go rancid.
    A large upright freezer might be slightly less.
    A freezer compartment in a fridge will be less again.
    There's a star rating, which I forget right now, worth looking into.
    Or check your freezer manual.
    I'd say if it's a decent sized freezer, with its own individual compartment, rather than part of a fridge with the same door, it should all be fine for 3 months.

4. Thanks. The food will be going in a big chest freezer so I guess it will be fine then.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It's better to cook things like sausage rolls unfrozen then bake on the day. Egg based custard things like quiche tend to split, so the shorter freezing time the better.

6. I wouldn't advise freezing a whole quiche - the filling tends to split and separate.
    You could freeze batches of pastry and pastry bases and then nearer the time fill with quiche filling or your sausage roll meat.