1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long before people start to see through the Letters and Sounds contrick?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by BrainJim, May 30, 2012.

1. Firstly let me say that before Letters and Sounds children also learned to read and write.
    This is how it works-Create a problem 'Children can't read' (apparently). Government use it to attack schools and teachers. Endless amounts of paper is sent to schools telling them how to do it properly. Headteachers panic because they think Ofsted will check if they are doing Letters and Sounds-pressure put on teachers. Advisors and private consultants step in and overcomplicate everything in order to justify their expenses and make themselves look like they are needed. Teachers feel confused as more and more jargon is heaped upon them. Private companies produce endless 'must have' resources. School go out and waste money. Five years down the line teachers told they are doing it wrong and we all start again...
    Force fed phonic teaching is the biggest turn off to reading ever.

2. Firstly let me say that before Letters and Sounds children also learned to read and write.
    This is how it works-Create a problem 'Children can't read' (apparently). Government use it to attack schools and teachers. Endless amounts of paper is sent to schools telling them how to do it properly. Headteachers panic because they think Ofsted will check if they are doing Letters and Sounds-pressure put on teachers. Advisors and private consultants step in and overcomplicate everything in order to justify their expenses and make themselves look like they are needed. Teachers feel confused as more and more jargon is heaped upon them. Private companies produce endless 'must have' resources. School go out and waste money. Five years down the line teachers told they are doing it wrong and we all start again...
    Force fed phonic teaching is the biggest turn off to reading ever.

3. Have you used it?
    I see improving results year on year.
    I see children becoming excited by their developing skills.
    I see their growing confidence making them thrilled to read and write.
    I don't feel confused or pressured by L+S.
    I haven't bought any 'must have' resources.
    I don't recall anyone telling me recently that I'm doing it wrong and have to start all over again.
    Do you really think the things you've posted here or is it just to see who rises to the bait.
    Well I'm biting!

4. Totally agree with above. Not biting enogh to add anything lol

5. louisea

louisea New commenter

Sorry BJ we love letters and sounds in our school. Teachers in KS2 have commented on how they are seeing improved reading and writing, children enjoy being able to write and make words easily.

You don't need any special equipment, just pencils, paper, whiteboards, pens and magnetic letters!

It works!

6. Couldn't agree more!
    - L&S has worked really well for us too and our children are also developing in confidence with reading and writing.
    - I find it worrying if teachers are 'confused' by it as it's very straightforward and logical.
    - Nobody has needed to 'pressure' me into using it: I can see it's value myself!
    I really wish people would just give things a go and try not to be so negative about change!

7. If Letters and Sounds was all you used then I could agree but any teacher with half a brain uses letters and sounds in conjunction with a number of other teaching methods and strategies.