1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how long before maternity leave?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by caldred, Dec 11, 2008.

1. How long do you have to have worked somewhere before you are allowed maternity leave? Im planning my next career move and dont want to be stuck!

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

And if it's helpful to know, your EDD is usually taken as 40 weeks after the first day of your last period. So, start the job, wait a week, then you need to have a period before starting trying for a baby. That's if time is on your side and you want the full money.

3. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I had 8 years continuous service and then moved LEAs in the August, starting the new one in September...I found out I was pregnant during the holidays, so had to tell the HT pretty much on the first day - not ideal, but there you go. Becuase I hadn't been working at the school 20 weeks before the 15th week of pregnancy (or something like that) I was permitted the full 52 weeks maternity leave, but was only entitled to 6 weeks at 90% then Maternity Allowance. I was gutted!

4. Ahh... so if I were pregnant now, I'd get the lesser allowance as you did MEG. But if I wait about six weeks or so 'til I get pregnant, then I'd be entitled to the full allowance. Is that correct? Have I understood this right?

5. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

Sounds about right!

6. Hi,

Just a quick reply just because you move school/authority it does not automatically cancel out your rights. Check to see if your council has a Burgundy book policy - if it does and your previous council does you are considered to have continuous employement and therefore get all rights of maternity, redundancy etc.

Foolslife

7. Grand - Thank you all for your help about this. Sounds like I might need to phone Personnel in my new LEA and check it out.

8. Hi

Just to clarify the different allowances:
    To get the full maternity benefits you need to have had continuous service with your LEA for 1 year, 15 weeks before your EDD.
    To get the SMP (6 weeks at 90% followed by 33 weeks SMP) you need to have been working for 26 weeks, 11 weeks before EDD.
    Any less than that and you get MA (which is the same as SMP only its paid out of NI contributions and not by your employer).

So, to get the full monty you need to have worked for your current LEA for approx 6 months before you get preggers. I started working for mine Jan 08 and am due on 9th Jan 09 and am only getting SMP (gutted as OH is self-employed and business is bad!). Do check the burgandy book thing my LEA didn't know what I was talking about.