1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long before a pay increase in UPS?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by humpty88, Oct 17, 2016.

1. humpty88

humpty88 New commenter

Hi. I am a UPS teacher and have recently had a very successful appraisal. I was wondering if anyone has had experience of having a pay increase on the UPS after one year. The NASUWT say that pay increases after one year on UPS should happen like it does on MPS or have I been misinformed?

2. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

It's every other for UPS increments in our place. However, I'm not sure whether that's right either!

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

There's a bit more to it than that so I shall refer you to my friend google.

"UPS progression teaching"

Look at the NUT pdf.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Like most things concerning pay there are few rules nowadays - even fewer if you are not on STPCD - and you need to look at your own school's Pay Policy. It can say that progress on UPS can be after one year if that's what governors have chosen to do but most policies follow the previous statutory rule that progress can only take place after two years.

strawbs and DYNAMO67 like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

Seemingly you have to have a minimum of two successful rounds of annual appraisal under your belt so that's two years and is in line with what happens at the school where @cate_h works.

That's what the NUT says but it's pretty fiendish these days which is why I didn't cut and paste.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Progression on the Upper Pay Range / Progression to the Upper Pay Range

It should firstly be noted that governing bodies are now able to decide, if they wish, that teachers on the Upper Pay Range (UPR) are eligible for pay progression every year rather than every two years. Most school pay policies, however, continue to provide that teachers are eligible for progression every two years on a three point scale on the UPR.

It should also be noted that teachers on the Main Pay Range are required to apply to move to the UPR and that the STPCD sets out specific criteria for movement to the UPR. The NUT has published separate and more detailed advice for teachers on applying to move to the UPR.

The STPCD states at para 12.2 that “Any pay increase … awarded to a teacher on the main pay range [or] the upper pay range … or any movement between those pay ranges must be permanent for as long as the teacher remains employed within the same school”. There is no provision which allows a teacher to agree to, or be compelled to, surrender their entitlement to be paid on the UPR as a consequence of any appraisal or pay decision.

Progression to the UPR does not alter the professional duties or obligations of teachers. In particular, the STPCD statutory guidance states (para 48) that teachers’ contractual obligation to contribute to curriculum development “does not mean that they can be expected to take on the responsibility of, and accountability for, a subject area or to manage other teachers without appropriate additional payment. Responsibilities of this nature should be part of a post that is in the leadership group or linked to a post which attracts a TLR1 or TLR2”. Teachers should not be required to take on additional duties without appropriate payment; and pay progression decisions should not be based on their performance of additional responsibilities which they have been required to take on without appropriate additional payment.

7. grumpydogwoman

There we go.

Most schools.

Once you're on UPS/UPR* it's often two years before you take the next step.

*UPR? Honest to God, why the eff do they have to change this stuff the whole time???