1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How long after gaining QTS do you get to complete your NQT year?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by emmarimmer3283, Jul 7, 2015.

1. I qualified as a teacher in July 2008. I decided to take some time off to start a family. After my daughter was born in November 2009 my relationsship with her father broke down and ive had to look after her alone. She is now in full time education and would like to get back into teaching. As it has been so long i thought it would be best to do some voluntary work in my child's school to get back into the classroom.

I did not complete my NQT year and the teacher in the school was not sure about the period of time i had from gaining my QTS to complete my NQT year. I have done some research and i am a little confused.

Can anyone help?

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

There is no time limit, only on the amount of supply you can do without completing induction.

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Yes, as Sillow says, no limit.

The supply limit is a potential problem for you though - having qualified in 2008, you have gone past the 5 year limit on non-induction supply and will not [legally] be able to do non-induction supply in a normal state school which is a common way to build back experience and boost the CV before applying for jobs again after such a gap.

So, if you do want to do daily supply as a way to get back in you have the choice of simply ignoring the regulations (which I expect many get away with - but it has all sorts of potential downsides!) or restricting yourself to only working in academies, free schools or independents. (As those sorts of schools aren't limited in who they employ by induction regulations.)

4. Thank you both for your help. [​IMG]