1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How 'locked down' is it where you are?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by bounceback, May 20, 2020.

1. bounceback

bounceback Occasional commenter

I am beginning to feel like I am living in some kind of alternate reality. I know there has been some easing of the lockdown, but around here it feels pretty much as if everything is back to normal and I'm some kind of recluse. Traffic seems back to normal levels, quite a few neighbours going in and out and having visitors round. Not seen anyone wearing masks lately, whereas maybe a week ago there were quite a few. Feels like many people think it's all over. Scary.

ACOYEAR8, gold19951 and install like this.
  2. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

There seems to be more traffic on the roads round here.Queues for the supermarket don’t seem as long but I think they could be letting more people in at a time.Mixture of people including kids wearing masks.Footfall just outside my house seems to have significantly picked up in last few days.When I have been walking around my local streets to get my exercise there are a lot of kids playing on the shared green spaces and families look like they are mixing.Buses still pretty empty but a few more people on them.I am walking around parked cars and in the road more than I was.Seeing lots of sun burnt people which tells me they have been out for a while.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

4. bounceback

The traffic on the not too distant main roads here sounds busy and there have been a lot of sirens. More than pre-lockdown in fact. I am wondering if the emergency services are using their sirens more because some drivers have gone a bit crazy now they are allowed out more:eek:. There have been quite a lot of bad accidents in this part of the country during the lockdown, and quite a few police chases. The police are apparently surprised by the number of fatalities and serious injuries considering the much lower levels of traffic.I am not surprised at all having heard racing going on near here late at night/early hours right through lockdown. Amazing considering there is a police station not a million miles from here o_O

gold19951, pepper5 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  5. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

When I was out last night about 8ish I saw a few boy racers , I was a little:confused::eek::mad:.

6. bounceback

There have, in the past couple of weeks, two crashes where cars have ended up in people's gardens - one next to someone's front door. Another two with cars straddling the pavement. Sheer luck no residents or pedestrians killed or injured. Also a police chase involving a car with a baby in the back seat :eek: Seems to be worse than before lockdown.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Boy racers (and other ne'er-do-wells) are well aware that police stations don't contain police officers!

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've cycled into the local hospital with My Wife every morning this week - just like normal rush hour.

i was cycling along a moderately busy road this afternoon - lots and lots of cars.

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Beaches in Devon and Cornwall are seeing high numbers of visitors.

Cars from "all over the country" were reported in traffic gridlock in north Devon on Wednesday, police said.

In Devon, Saunton Sands beach car park, near Braunton, was described as "looking like August", with nearby Woolacombe described "a particular pinch point" for traffic.

In Cornwall, cars have been lining roads near Gwithian, and Perranporth beach has had hundreds of people on it.

In Devon, officers tweeted traffic heading to beaches was "exceptionally busy" and beach car parks were shut to new cars.

Staff at the Saunton Sands asked motorists to drive on, while they tried to maintain control over access to the car park.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-52742519

BertieBassett2 and gold19951 like this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I don't blame people really.

pepper5 and gold19951 like this.
  11. bounceback

No, lots don't, but this is quite a major one.
    From my observations of police interaction with problem neighbours, they mostly seem to offer the ne'er-do-wells 'words of advice'.

I can understand people wanting to get out, particularly those with children, without a garden, etc. Just concerned the virus may take off again and we'll end up with a full lockdown over the summer.

pepper5, BertieBassett2 and gold19951 like this.
  12. Rott Weiler

It doesn't matter how big the police station is they aren't full of police officers waiting to be called out to deal with an incident!

13. bounceback

They have the control room there though. Isn't that where calls are routed to and then passed on to the response officers?
    I called several years ago about racing in the local area, they wanted to know exactly which road. As it was the middle of the night I wasn't about to go out in my PJs and find out for them. A bit of initiative on their part might help. At times they must be able to see them go by, can they not alert one of their own?

Boy racers (and some not so boyish :rolleyes:) are a particular problem around here as there are a couple of fairly new, straightish roads, that lend themselves to this activity. Sadly, it's just become the norm now.

14. Rott Weiler

No, there's typically one great big control room for the whole county or whatever somewhere.

pepper5, gold19951 and bounceback like this.
  15. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I always held the view the people would decide when they had had enough and that would be the time when we adopted the Swedish way of doing things.

While our government ties itself in knots with 'maybe this, maybe that, red tape this, exceptions that' the people have indeed had enough and we are on our way to a Swedish type non lockdown.

Once furlough ends or as we close in on its end, no matter what the government says, the Swedish way will be introduced overnight.

16. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

It's getting busier where I live (a medium sized city) but still much quieter than normal. It is normally very hectic on the main road nearest to me though.
    As for driving, I found it difficult when the roads were really quiet many people who were on the road seemed to be going stupidly fast and would be up your behind if you kept to the speed limit. Drivers are usually slowed down by the sheer volume of traffic in my part of the world.

17. bounceback

Yes, that's the one!

I do respect the police and definitely would not like to deal with a lot of what they deal with. It seems sometimes they could be a bit more proactive though.

18. bounceback

Peakster, I am in awe of your cycling activities.. I used to cycle a lot back in the day. Sadly, I wouldn't risk cycling on most of the roads around here now.

pepper5, BertieBassett2 and gold19951 like this.
  19. gold19951

gold19951 Occasional commenter

Oh gosh I could have written this Bounceback. Funnily enough, I’ve been in a kind of a self-imposed bubble since the schools closed as my anxiety has peaked and I haven’t left the house at all. I have several of the vulnerable factors, but am more worried about my partner, who is shielding, and our financial situation (he doesn’t work) than anything else. I’ve been lucky enough to be furloughed though, so we can manage until September, but after that - who knows.
    But back to your post, despite being inside, I can hear the traffic which sounds completely back to normal and I’m hearing people talking to each other in the street etc. It does just feel as if it’s all over and business as usual. And I’m really scared by it all too. X

pepper5 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  20. gold19951

gold19951 Occasional commenter

Actually re-reading what I’ve just written I suppose everyone has been in a bubble. I’ve sort of stayed in the bedroom for most of the time and hidden under the duvet! But then I had my issues before the pandemic!;)