1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How likely am I to find a new primary teaching job for a January/May start?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Pl501, Nov 28, 2019.

?

Are there always opportunities in January/May for teachers looking to change schools?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Pl501

Pl501 New commenter

Hello!

I'm a primary school teacher currently hating my work environment and hoping to leave asap! The only reason I'm still at my current school, is because I'm on maternity leave and knew I had to make the most of it in order to have the extra maternity pay.

As I have to work 3 months (a term) in order to keep my extra maternity allowance, I am wondering whether to go back this coming September (2020) in order to hopefully find a new role for January (2021), or whether to go back in January (2021) for a new role at Easter (2021).

I've only ever started jobs in September, so am not sure what the likelihood of finding a new role midyear would be. Any advice from anyone who's started a job midyear, or who knows more would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

There are always vacancies, at all times of the year, and moving schools at Xmas/Easter is not unusual.

3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Yes, jobs are advertised throughout the year. Most will follow the notice-period pattern as many teachers have to give half a term’s notice. To enable teachers to do this, posts for January would normally be advertised September/October, posts for April in January/February and posts for September in April/May. However there are many exceptions and you would need to be checking the TES website every few days in order not to miss something.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If this is under the Burgundy Book, then holidays are included. It may not work from the timing of the birth, but you can do the required 13 weeks in less than a term by including holidays. The ideal way of doing this is to return at around the start of June. If not, you can make the three months finish on 31 December or after Easter, meaning that it is not a full term.

5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

You do get teachers that leave posts mid year, through a variety of circumstances- new job, retirement or ill health- if you’re looking for a January start, vacancies will usually be advertised from September- October (Resignation deadline for Jan start is October 31)
    For Easter starts, you’ll be looking at from December- February (Reaignation deadline for Easter start is February 28)

I would recommend you subscribe to job alerts on TES or e-teach for roles in your local area so that you receive an email when a particular role is advertised.

Good Luck!

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you're on the usual pay and conditions, it's not that you have to return for "a term" - you have to return for 13 calendar weeks, which could start at any time and can include holiday weeks. However resignation does have to be with effect from Dec 31st/Apr 30th*/Aug 31st.
    *April is funny - you are only entitled to leave wef 30th Apr, unless you have got a job in another school, in which case you can leave the day before term starts in the new school. In practice, I think schools are almost always open to the possibility of agreeing an earlier finish so that the replacement teacher takes over at the start of term.

Of course, it's possible your school, if it's not LA, has a different system for OMP, and requires a calendar term - check your contract carefully.

If you're already on maternity leave, I presume you will need to return before January 2021. You don't have to return at the start of a term, by the way, whatever the type of school; it's a statutory right that you can return on a date of your choosing up to a year after the start of your leave. Whatever you do, don't return in September - you would be far better to return on the first day of the summer holiday and get the extra 6 weeks of pay!

Piranha likes this.