1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How life has changed.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Apr 9, 2020.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's 8.30 am

I'm still in my pyjamas

On a normal Thursday I would now be annoying my form and then heading off to assembly.

The highlight of my morning will be............not sure actually.

Can we have our lives back please.

2. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Turkeys voting for Christmas.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am up, having done an online ballet lesson and had breakfast. We will have a long walk with the dogs shortly. There is beautiful countryside around us, it is easy to stay at a distance.

Plans for the rest of the day include some school work, a bit of deep cleaning and some reading in the garden. This evening I will watch Jane Eyre at the National Theatre, pausing for a clap and a chat with the neighbours at 8pm.

My concern is fitting all of these activities in when online teaching starts again after the holidays.

4. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

My step count is up by an enormous amount, I'm getting more fresh air, my garden looks much better and this morning I’m going to tackle the ironing basket. MrF has sorted his shed (for shed read enormous workshop) for the first time in years as he never has time and done lots of jobs. We’re getting more time together for lovely walks.

Been to work one day this week and it put a knot in my shed.

Apart from not seeing my mum, I like this new normal.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I can sympathise. However, it looks as if another three weeks (at least) of lockdown will be needed.

The 1972 Stanford Marshmallow Experiment comes to mind.

I'll wait.

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Although probably not on a normal Maundy Thursday *. It's easy to forget it is Easter Holidays. :(

* Even the royal maunday purses are being distributed by Special Delivery today, instead of by the Queen.

Marshall and agathamorse like this.
  7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I have two projects now on hold because I cannot go out and buy the wood and other materials needed.I intended to build a carport and replace the border fence between mine and my neighbours front garden.
    I was waiting for the weather to improve before starting and in accordance with Sod’s law the house arrest coincided with the weather improvement.
    Another long walk today, I did a ten miler on Monday, might go a bit further today depending on my joints.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    agathamorse, bombaysapphire and nomad like this.
  8. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Today, I enter the fourth week off work. In that time, I've achieved very little and have no driving desire to do much. Everything is planned for a deep clean of everything here and a major sort-out, but that can start tomorrow.

I sleep for eight or nine hours and wake each morning just pleased to be well.

I've tried to get things achieved online re applications for state financial assistance and have decided to stop and wait until the vast backlog is shortened.

As I've pottered about I've been making a mental note of all that needs to be done.

I won't be coming out of lockdown until 6th July at the earliest. This means I have, in theory, plenty of time.

So, at present, I just go along day-by-day.

As long as I get the house pretty tidy each day and make the required meals and have a sit on the bench outside, I'm content.

9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I think Toolstation are still delivering.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

On the other hand - I have caught up with some school work, I have cycled miles and my knee has stopped hurting.

So it isn't all bad.

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I will check them out but it is timber I need.
    Thank you.

12. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I think Wickes are too

agathamorse and lexus300 like this.
  13. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Things are pretty much the same as follows:
    Coffee and chat with my wife in the morning
    Go for a walk, or to the allotment (sometimes both!)
    Lots of WhatsApp chatting with various friends/family groups I have created
    Reading the news
    Food shopping once a week

Things are different as follows:
    I can’t go on the train for a walk around town
    I have to avoid people on the pavement
    I can’t go to the garden centre
    I can’t visit family our friends
    I lost all of my invigilation hours
    The charity group I work with is suspended (although we are due to have a Zoom meeting on Monday)
    No church on Sunday

In addition we have taken on our 2 nephews who are at university, which has closed. They are unable to fly back to their parents as Qatar has closed its flights to all but nationals. Our food bill has more than trebled.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

As are B & Q etc

chelsea2, lexus300 and agathamorse like this.
  15. DrLinus

DrLinus Established commenter

I have finally begun to practice yoga.

Quite enjoying it, actually.

RepelloInimicum and agathamorse like this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm really enjoying my evening bike rides. It's very relaxing and now that I don't have to think about my lessons the next day my mind isn't as busy on the way round.

I watched a Skylark last night doing its display flight - there was no need to rush back home and I must have been there for 10 minutes or more. I'm really looking forward to the return of the House Martins in a few weeks.

mothorchid, nomad, DrLinus and 2 others like this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We've had soup for lunch quite a bit too.

The novelty is wearing off even though I can watch "Bargain Hunt"

Norsemaid and agathamorse like this.
  18. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I think they were over rated. There are better bands around.

lexus300 and agathamorse like this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Took me a few minutes to figure that one out!

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Been doing quite a bit more cooking - normally I don't have a lot of thyme.