1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How is your TLR handled when you're part time?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Coolgiraffe, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Just wanted to start a general conversation about it really!

Do you get paid pro rata but still do the full set of responsibilities?

Do you job share it with someone else? How are the responsibilities shared?

Cheers, Coolgiraffe x

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

An interesting point, as there is some unfairness in the issue of payment of TLR 1/2 to part-time staff.

NUT says:

The STPCD provides that part time teachers must be paid this percentage of the total full time pay entitlement. This means that they are paid a percentage not only of the spine point salary but also any TLR1 and TLR2 payment attaching to the post. This continues to create problems for those part time teachers who carry out the whole, rather than part, of an additional responsibility.

And then later on:

Other Matters

Part time teachers must, according to the STPCD, be paid on a pro rata basis to the total FTE pay rate - including any TLR1 or TLR2 payments - for the post occupied. Where a part time teacher undertakes the full additional responsibilities of a promoted post, it would clearly be unfair if they did not receive the full value of the TLR payment for those responsibilities simply because they are employed on a part time contract. In such cases, the NUT advises that their contractual working time should be adjusted in order that it both fully reflects the additional time spent undertaking those additional responsibilities and provides the full additional payment for such responsibilities.

Where two part time teachers share the duties of a post of additional responsibility, there should be a formal job share arrangement setting out the division of responsibilities and the basis for payment. Where one of the job share partners undertakes a larger part of the additional responsibilities, schools should adjust the working time provisions of the arrangement to ensure that the TLR element of the pay is allocated accordingly.

Part time teachers may, however, receive the full value of a TLR3 payment without any pro rata reduction being applied.

This is based on The STPD 2015 which says:

43. Determination of remuneration of part-time teachers
    43.1. The salary and any allowances, except for TLR3s, of a part-time teacher must be determined in accordance with the pro rata principle.

I would add that what NUT advises or says should happen, may not necessarily happen . . .

Best wishes

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    peggylu and Middlemarch like this.
  3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes - Theo is right to point out that what the NUT would like to happen is not what is directed in the STPD.

4. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

A school I worked at wouldn't allow any TLR 1 or 2 holders (not TLR3) to go part time. There was a big fuss about this, union involvement, appeals made and three staff members resigned. However this academy went on to allow two SMT members to change hours to work 0.8. Go figure! One rule for the blob...

5. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Thanks for replies so far, it is an interesting situation isn't it?

When I went back part time, I continued to be responsible for the whole TLR and I consulted my Union about the pay, they told me I could ask to be paid the full TLR. I informed my headteacher and it was agreed. All they did was adjust the TLR payment so that when it was pro rata it actually worked out that I was paid the same as the full amount. Just a silly way of getting around the local authority payroll system.

It needs yo happen though, because if someone is on a 0.8 contract, who would want 0.2 of a TLR?